Monday, August 22, 2005

My Name is Trouble

My computer has some serious issues. Just hours after that lost post praising the genius bar it crashed again. Luckily, I had just finished uploading my pictures up on Flikr. To make a long story short I had to wipe out the entire computer again, buy a new hard drive and have spent the last day trying to sort through my backups. Needless to say I have to import all my music in again, but I promise you...this week....there shall be tunes.

However there are some great tracks floating around on other blogs that are worth noting. So without going on another day of disservice, I'll let you know where they are.

Dodge posted some great tracks from a band that graced NME's cover the last week I was overseas, The Magic Numbers. Two girls. Two guys. Southern roots. NYC and London upbringings. Perfect summer soundtrack. You will not be able to get enough. Check them out here. My favorite (although I do love them all) would have to be "The Mule."

I caught the band at Oxegen and walked into a tent with hundreds of drunken Irish people swinging each other around like a ho-down. It was excellent.

Magic Numbers


If you read Ultragrrrl's blog at all then you've heard about Nightmare of You. I had never heard the band but was reading about them this summer. Turned out my roommate in London is a BIG fan. She played me some tracks on a walk home one night and I thought they were pretty good. Unfortunately their EP is sold-out for the time being, but Central Village posted a track the other day. I, too, am oddly addicted to this song. It's actually becoming a problem. I made a mix for my car the other day and put it at track #1. I can't get past it. There has got to be something hidden in it, I swear.

Other tracks:
  • Ending East has great tracks from The Teeth, We Are Scientists, and the A-Sides.
  • Chris reposted Feist covering The Kinks here. A must.
  • You Aint No Picasso finds a recording of The Decemberists, Stars, and Death Cab covering Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way from this week's show in Central Park. Now I can sort of pretend I was there. Get it quick.
  • Take Your Medicine, a blog I came across this summer has the in on the indie scene in the UK. Worth checking out? Two tracks from The Bridge Gang. Check them out here.

    Tomorrow I head into New York for the first time in over two months (my god). First stop is Brooklyn to sign the lease on my apartment that I can't move into until Sept 1 (boo). Then into the city to slum around before heading down to the Lower East Side for some yumminess that is Schillers and some greatness that is The GoStation play their weekly (FREE!) show at Arlene's Grocery. It'll be nice to get back to my old neighborhood.

    On a completely unrelated note, who watched the finale of Six Feet Under? I've said it before and I'll say it again: hands down, the best show on television. Best cast. Best writing. Best directing. Best music. I will sincerely miss The Fishers and will have to save up some money to get all the DVDs. I'm not entirely sure yet what I thought of the ending. I don't think I particularly liked it, but then again, I wouldn't have liked it have just ended with Claire driving off into the sunset. Mr. Alan Ball is far too clever for that. Can't wait to see what he conjures up next.

    All for now.

  • 1 Comment:

    Satisfied '75 said...

    yar. them magic numbers are tasty.

    blogger templates | Make Money Online