Monday, January 30, 2006

January 2006 Recap in Songs

I realized today I hadn't posted a good ol’ fashioned mix in a while. I'm a mix freak, so that seemed a bit out of the ordinary. Then I saw Chris's post with his "Best of January" and I blatantly want to rip off his idea. Hope he doesn't mind!

So here's what you might have missed, and what I have been obsessed about this month:

  • Editors - You Are Fading
    They came. They landed. And they conquered New York City. My favorite B-side off a fabulous debut had never sounded better than when Tom and the rest of the boys filled out a very packed Rothko. I still get chills every time I listen to this song.

  • Morningwood - Nth Degree
    Love them or hate them, this song is impossible to ignore. Chantal's seductive voice shines through on this pop gem. The video is not to be missed as well.

  • Birdmonster - All The Holes In The Walls
    What started as a friendly IM one day from drummer Zach, this band has quickly become one of my favorites. And that's quite a feat when they only have three songs. Listen to this and you'll understand. I can't wait to hear their debut.

  • Voxtrot - Raised By Wolves
    The amount of times I have listened to this song is honestly embarrassing. No matter what can happen to me throughout the day, as long as I put on this song, I will immediately be at ease. Now that's something to keep listening to.

  • We Are Scientists - Be My Baby
    Even though the interview didn't go exactly as I had hoped (or fantasized about), there's no doubt that this is one special band. All ended well and on good terms, which didn't help my slight crush on a certain lead singer. And when he sings this song, swoon I shall.

  • Tom Vek - I Aint Saying My Goodbyes
    I spent the greater part of this month trying to find Tom Vek. I was quite unsuccessful. So when Mr. Vek left New York City without me by his side, I listened to this song and said my goodbye. Until next time, that is.

  • Tapes 'n Tapes - 10 Gallon Ascots
    I have no shame in admitting I'm sincerely obsessed with this band. I have never been so initially taken with anyone as much as when Tapes 'n Tapes arrived in New York. I went to three shows in one week and would have gone every single day if I could have. I'm working on a kidnapping scheme to get them to New York and keep them here, so that may actually be possible. I'll keep you posted.

  • The Diggs - Trouble Everyday/Waterfall Outro (Live @ Rothko)
    The Diggs are meant to be seen live, but not everyone in this country can see them. Lucky for everyone involved, we got a top-notch recording of one of my personal highlights from the many times I've been witness to the wonder that is The Diggs. "Trouble Everyday" will always bring a little tear to my eye, but when they go into The Stone Roses "Waterfall" I think everyone's jaw in Rothko dropped. It's quite spectacular.

  • The Wrens - She Sends Kisses (live)
    One of the most interesting shows I went to this month was catchy a rare acoustic performance by The Wrens. The entire time I felt like I wasn't special enough to be there, but dammit, I wasn't going to leave. It was heartbreakingly perfect in all of its rawness, and leaving there I knew there could never possibly be a show just like it.

  • Tegan & Sara - Where Does The Good Go
    I fell back in love with this album for no reason whatsoever except that Mr. iTunes happened to fall on it. It's now a OCD routine to listen to this song everyday as I walk to the subway. I think part of me thinks it’s my own personal theme song. Don't tell anyone.

  • Arctic Monkeys - Dancing Shoes
    I will refrain from writing anything more about this band in the near future to avoid the inevitable backlash. Instead I'll put on this song and dance around like an idiot. It's better that way.

  • The Light Footwork - Coastlines Are Landmines
    You can't get anymore likeable that this. I have been humming it in the back of my head for months now. I wonder sometimes if when writing a song like this, the artist knows they have struck gold. Buy this album so you can let them know it has.

  • Maximo Park - A Year Of Doubt
    There's no doubt in my mind that Maximo Park is a fantastic band. So while we all wait for their anticipated follow-up, special fans are enjoying Maximo right down to their little bones. A collection of B-Sides and Demos, the appropriately titled Missing Songs will keep us tied over until then, pretty successfully.

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online