Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Resurrection Song | Birdmonster

I must make an apology to the city of New York and its resident musicians. For the greater part of 2006 (it's been 11 days now, come on) I've been spending my time listening to bands that happen to habitat outside of this grand city. Gasp!

It started with Austin's own Voxtrot at the tail end of last year. After seeing them live, I couldn't stop listening to their EP, over and over and over and over again. That hasn't let up. Then you are probably aware of that Minneapolis band Tapes 'n Tapes that I am officially obsessed with. So much so, that I'm not trying to plot out how I can make it to their show at Rothko before We Are Scientists take the stage at Bowery. I need my final fix before they bid NYC adieu.

So let me introduce you to another love, hailing from one of my old hometowns of San Fransisco. It's not exactly an introduction, I suppose, since they have been blogged about by Chris, Matt, among others. But sometimes I get lost on the blogosphere and miss a lot of things, so here I am now.



Birdmonster will hopefully be a DIY success story. I got to chatting with drummer Zach Winter one day and it's nice to hear that bands are looking for other alternatives rather than signing with the first record label that approaches them. With enough support from the west coast and slowly moving its way east, Birdmonster has the attitude and the music to make it happen. I especially love "All the Holes in the Walls." It takes you on a musical journey that I just can't get enough of. Forget any comparisons, because each time you'll hear it differently. Just listen.

Look for some NYC dates in the near future, plus an upcoming LP. For now, you can buy their EP on iTunes and be their friend on myspace. They also play the Gorilla vs. Bear showcase in Dallas, TX on March 10 with Tapes 'n Tapes & Seventeen Evergreen.

  • Birdmonster - All the Holes In the Walls
  • Birdmonster - Resurrection Song

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online