Friday, April 4, 2008

Friendship

I froze my hands
Broke my fingers off
Gave them to my friends as a gift
Because a rift has formed between us.


I always loved that line from Mason Proper's song "Friendship." It's one of those very strange images that makes complete sense once you hear it, but for only a split second, of course. It's charming and disturbing—the kind of dichotomy I fall in love with.

Irony is a funny thing. I have spent the past two weeks basically cleaning up my life, feeling guilty about removing parts that I've held so dear, and taking on new occurrences, thoughts, dreams. It's actually my dreams that are throwing me for a loop, the subconscious ones and not, which can battle and befriend at the same time. But in a swift move of "a ha" my computer died yesterday, the hard drive completely failed, and all the things that I had always planned on holding on to, have been removed from my life. And somehow I'm left without a job, without a computer, and paralleling one of my favorite shows on television. Sure, I'm on no island, but I am trying to figure out what the hell is going on around me.

Luckily, I tend to be an eternal optimist. And frankly, I always think that things happen for a reason so I'm off to search exactly what one is. Who knows, maybe this time next week everything will have changed again.

Of course, it only really takes one thing to lift my spirits, and anything pop culture related pleases me to the core. Which is why I was thrilled to see my name forever imprinted on the wonderful USA Today Pop Culture blog. Click here to read about my silly obsessions with Ethan Hawke, Felicity, and a lot of other embarrassing moments. It was incredibly fun.

In related news, I came in fifth on my first ever Hollywood Draft. Thanks Heath for getting me the most points. (Too soon?)

--
"Friendship" by Mason Proper is found on their recently released Shorthand EP, which can be purchased on iTunes.

2 Comments:

Joe Mitchell said...

What kind of computer do you have? I may have a spare hard drive hanging around...

magickat said...

I think you needed to lose all that stuff on your computer. Maybe it will come back at some point, but I think you needed to lose it to see how you would cope without it. It totally IS like Lost! I'm so glad I got the reference now that I am all caught up on the show!.

Ok... going to read your interview now. Ciao!

blogger templates | Make Money Online