Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Long Blondes @ Bowery | Lily Allen @ Roseland

Now that the wisdom teeth are out, and I'm feeling much better in all aspects of my life, I've been out and about getting back into the routine of seeing shows and being my usual random self. Even though I had a horrific experience seeing David Cross (who I love) do a "You Tube Show And Tell" on Monday night at Mo Pitkins (I kid you not), it happened to be sandwiched between two fabulous shows from two fabulous female fronted bands from my homeland: the Long Blondes at Roseland on Saturday, and Miss Lily Allen at Roseland last night. We'll go chronologically, because..well, that's how we roll around here.

(P.S. - I wish I had pictures for you, because I'm now a bit of a camera whore since my birthday, but I was pretty far back for both of them that the people just look like dots. Not worth it, right?)

I've been enjoying the Long Blondes album immensely since I listened to it a dozen or so times with Pat on our way to Philadelphia a little while ago. You know me -- I'm a total gusher of all things pop orientated and this Brit band does it so perfectly, it is almost like a time capsule. See, I grew up being a total No Doubt fan which brought me back to the likes to Save Ferris and Letters To Cleo. It was my dream to be one of those fearless females one day on stage, but as time has shown...I've chosen to write about it instead of hog the spotlight. Regardless, Kate Jackson and the rest of the Long Blondes have successfully turned back the clocks and I am as giddy as a teenager.

Seeing them on Saturday, I had a good feeling about the show. The album was solid, the venue perfect, and I was ready to sing along. And although I had a great time, Pat had some negative things to say and the more I think about it, the more I find myself agreeing with him. While a good show, it wasn't any where near to what it could have been. The band played the songs exactly to the T of the recording, and although it sounded good -- it could have been better. I wanted Kate Jackson to become my new idol, and instead she awkwardly walked up and down the stage while singing nicely. There was no wham bam thank you ma'am pizazz. I was left satisfied, but hardly blown away.

Lily Allen, on the other hand, should have been a disaster. Rumors of her canceling the show once again plagued me as I headed into the worst venue on the planet Roseland (no exaggeration). I must admit I have a bit of an infatuation with Miss Allen -- to the point that I think if we met, we'd be the best of friends. It's been almost a year since I picked up that album in London the day it came out and it's been a consistent staple of my listening habits. Gosh darn, it's just so poppy and good. I just love her.

And lets face it -- she could practically get away with murder. Although she seemed sloshed and stoned, forgetting the words to her own songs that forced her to take out a lyric sheet, bursting out into laughter in the middle of songs, and babbling incessantly in between -- I had a ball. The songs were actually transformed for a live setting (minus an actual guitar, what the hell?) and Lily ran across the stage, singing to the fans, and generally having the time of her life. I, in the very back of the venue, was feeling the same way. I had been dying to catch her live, and I'm glad I finally did. I'd go see her any time she's back in this city, too, just as long as it's not at Roseland.

Lily played one new song [turns out it wasn't], something about MySpace and feeling bad about her self (seems to be a trend with her, no?) and three covers. It was actually quite endearing when she apologized to the crowd for making such a short album, forcing her to play other people's so we "get our money's worth." She covered a song by the Specials (not bad), Kaiser Chief's "Oh My God" (love, but crowd was not familiar) and Blondie's "Heart Of Glass" (surprisingly pulled it off). In the end, I came out forgiving Miss Lily Allen for all of her pitfalls because she's so gosh darn likable. And those songs, with the right words or not, and still wonderful.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online