Monday, July 13, 2009

Mission of Burma, Fucked Up, Ponytail & Jemina Pearl | Pool Parties 2009.07.12

Pool Parties 7.12.09


I couldn't have been more excited for the first "Pool Party" of the summer, this year at Brooklyn Waterfront. For the past three years, these events have been a staple in my summer weekends, having the luxury of spending the day outside with free music and hipster watching. I frankly was thrilled to hear that the pool was getting a new location -- the vast amounts of concrete and lack of shade was not a friend to my Irish skin. Down at the waterfront there still was a good deal of concrete, but luckily there was some grass and a nice breeze from the beautiful view of Manhattan. Plus, I remembered sunscreen this year.

For a day filled of sets from bands I wasn't completely familiar with (other than Mission of Burma who I saw last year at Pitchfork) I ended up having quite a fun time. Up first was Jemina Pearl of Be Your Own Pet fame, who's spunky tunes made for a great kick off to the day. I was surprised at how melodic her songs were, and impressed when hearing it was their first official show. Sure, there were some misteps here and there, but their energy under the hot Brooklyn sun sure made up for it.

Jemina Pearl @ Pool Parties 7.12.09


Ponytail was up next, and I think I may have caught them once before as I remember asking Pat how old the lead singer was. Not totally my type of music, I still enjoyed seeing a crowd go bonkers with each new sound emoted from her voice.

Ponytail @ Pool Parties 7.12.09


The most surprising set of the day goes to Fucked Up who, if you know my musical taste at all, usually wouldn't be my cup of tea. But I can't help but encourage bands who give it their all, and lead singer "Pink Eye" did just that. Playing most of the show from the crowd, I was in awe of his dedication as he poured sweat and tears all over the hands and faces of the kids up front. Like I said, the music itself wasn't exactly what I'd listen to on a rainy day, but they put on one hell of a show.

Fucked Up @ Pool Parties 7.12.09


Next up was headliners Mission of Burma, who I decided to take in from side stage sitting in a nice green pasture. I couldn't help but be distracted from the incredible views the Waterfront offers of the Manhattan skyline. And while listening to the band, I couldn't have asked for a better closing to the day.

Mission Of Burma @ Pool Parties 7.12.09


All in all, it was a great start of what looks to be an incredible line up of shows. Hopefully the crew will think twice about the roped off beer area (boo) and provide more choices of food (sorry vegetarians, you'll find no luck here). There were definitely some aspects of the original location that I'll definitely miss (long live slip 'n slide) but I'm definitely embracing the change!

Pool Parties 7.12.09

8 Comments:

snoring mouthpiece said...

Hi,

Are you rockers? Beside this genre I'm also like indie band and enjoy with this genre.

But honestly your blog look nice and great info.

Cheers,

the snoring mouthpiece

sempoi said...

Hi there. You really have a nice blog here. Lots of information. I have read and passed on this info to my friends as well.

Cheers!

My First Blog
Cyber Secret
Nice Wallpaper

sdfasad said...

Grace College, Instant Copy, Marsh, Goshen News, K-Mart, Desert Christian, AdOut, First Baptist, Peninsula Covenant, California Kids supremasi hukum artinya King's Swim Academy, Newport Covenant, Access, Houston Christian, Redeemer, Triplett Aerospace, Trak-1, Tulsa World of Gymnastics, Jenks Gymnastics, Parent Child Center. I'm sure I've forgotten some of the places we've worked to make ends meet.

Yang Kuo said...

Grace College, Instant Copy, Marsh, Goshen News, K-Mart, Desert Christian, AdOut, First Baptist, Peninsula Covenant, California Kids supremasi hukum artinya King's Swim Academy, Newport Covenant, Access,



แคมฟรอก

RCA said...

very nice!

nisnasscode said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
3nod maka said...

تمتعوا الان بافضل خدمات شركة تنظيف فلل مكة المكرمه اي انهم يعملون جيدا في تنظيف الشقق والمنازل وتوفير كبري شركة تنظيف مفروشات مكة المكرمه التي يتميزون بتنظيف السجاد والموكيت بوسائل التبخير التي تستخدم في تنظيف   شركة غسيل خزانات مكة المكرمه  بافضل وسائل الحديثه المستخدمه في تنظيف خزانات جيدا  

Unknown said...

Cool! Thankyou brother

blogger templates | Make Money Online