Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mexico | Beat Radio

How much does quality recording have to do with one liking a band? I get a great deal of music sent to me these days, and I must admit that if I pop in a CD and it sounds like I could have recorded it with my old-school fisher price tape recorder, I'm not thrilled. But sometimes there's a certain specialty in finding lo-fi recordings of a really good band. And sometimes, the lo-fi recordings or demo recordings just work better for a band.

Take Beat Radio as an example. Lead singer and songwriter Brian Sendrowitz's demos were sent around the blogosphere and created a decent buzz. They were recorded on a Tascam 424 portastudio and sound very, well, demo-ish. And yet we all saw through that and appreciated the beauty of the songs. Since them Beat Radio has released studio versions of two of their tracks, off the forthcoming LP The Great Big Sea. When I first listened to them, it was almost disappointing. It lost that rawness that I so liked in the original demos. But they've grown on me, I'm curious to see what some of the other tracks that I have learned to love so dearly will sound like with a little bit more production value.

But either way, the band is at its best live. See them tonight at Sin-E when they play Loveless Music Group's "To Here Knows When." Beat Radio goes on at 10.

  • Beat Radio - Mexico (LP version)
  • Beat Radio - Mexico (demo version)
  • Beat Radio - Treetops (LP version)
  • Beat Radio - Treetops (demo version)

  • 1 Comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Southeast pandora jewelry and main Asian countries have twisted pandora bracelets rubies for centuries, but research as to where, cheap pandora charms

    blogger templates | Make Money Online