Monday, January 30, 2006

Zoo Time | Mystery Jets

By accident I fell asleep at 8 PM on Saturday night instead of heading to Mercury to see The Diggs. I was definitely exhausted after Friday night, but wanted to catch those boys play for the millionth time. It doesn't get old. They play Northsix on February 16 so someone get me some coffee and an alarm clock by then.

Because I was asleep so early on Saturday night, I proceeded to wake up at 5:30 Sunday morning. There's not much to do at that time in the morning, I've disovered. So I took a look at that pile of CDs on my desk and put my game face on. It was listening time. Throughout the week I'll post some tidbits about the good ones, so keep a look out.

First up was Mystery Jets. Basically anything Karen sends me I'll most likely love, but this time it took a few listens to really emerse myself in this quirky little Brit band.



Even though they've become an NME favorite, don't put Mystery Jets in the category of Brit-pop-rock-band-of-the-minute. If anything, I think they may have the greatest chance of longevity. I refuse to put them in any category because honestly I can't think of music that has sounded like this. I could pick out little tidbits of over 100 bands. They are without the ridiculous amount of hype (thank you Arctic Monkeys) and are creating music that is both interesting and catchy, with each song a completely different mindset. That's why I can't exactly grasp this band yet, and that is why I find them utterly interesting. It's a bit crazy, so if you can appreciate that -- take a listen.

Mystery Jets will come to the US for the first time this spring in support of their Startime International debut Flotsam & Jetsam EP to be released April 11. I'm really excited to see how crazy these guys are on stage. Expect anarchy -- that's my prediction.

US Dates:
March 16 - Austin, TX - SXSW Showcase
March 17 - Austin, TX - Filter Party
March 20 - Los Angeles, CA - Spaceland
March 21 - San Francisco, CA - Café Du Nord
March 24 - New York, NY - Mercury Lounge
March 25 - New York, NY - Mercury Lounge
March 27 - Toronto, ONT - Mod Club Theatre


Be their friend on My Space.

  • Mystery Jets - Zoo Time
  • Mystery Jets - You Can't Fool Me Dennis

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online