Monday, April 16, 2007

Cross-Pollination: The Mixtape Vol 1

And so it goes. My laptop decided to die on me last week, so I haven't been able to post much when I'm at home. Luckily, I've made a valiant effort in staying in more, getting enough sleep, and going to the allergy doctor every week to tell me something new that I'm allergic to. It's a lot of fun. You should try it some time.

And yet there's one place on a weekly basis that I can go and it feels very much like home. Most Tuesday nights you will find me upstairs at Pianos, where Cross-Pollination takes place. Organized by two overachievers but extreme music lovers, every week I am introduced to two new local talents. But this is not all, after each do their solo set, they then "cross-pollinate" for a short set together. Sometimes it's unreal, sometimes it's a bit iffy, but it's always a unique experience that shows just how innovative and creative musicians today can be, if given the chance.

To celebrate, the wonderful creators have released a free mix-tape of past performers. It's a great collection, and even better than it's free! You will recognize a lot of the artists from this blog, as I discovered most of them there on a random Tuesday night. I wrote a news story about the series and mixtape over at CMJ, you can read that here. Below is the mixtape in its entirety, for more information head on over to Liberated Matter.

01. My Brightest Diamond Hi, Remember Me?
02. Kevin Devine You'll Only End Up Joining Them (Acoustic)
03. Wakey!Wakey! Falling Apart
04. The Undisputed Heavyweights Roll Your Windows Down
05. The Bloodsugars Purpose Was Again
06. Matt Singer Stacy J.
07. Derek James Love Me, Love Me
08. Cloud Cult Pretty Eyes
09. Casey Shea Quinzy Housing
10. Jeffrey Lewis Tell It To Your Heart (Loud Reed Cover)
11. The Lloyds Halfway
12. Jay Mankind Western States (Demo)
13. Ian Thomas SBB
14. Dave Deporis Be Strong

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online