Sunday, April 1, 2007

And now for something..completely different.

Very rarely do I take this blog seriously. Most of the time I use this little page on the internet to recount the nights chasing after wannabe rockstars, promoting bands I hold so near and dear to my heart, or just old fashioned babbling. It's usually a combination of all three. I forget to spell check or read posts over once they are done. It's not that I don't enjoy this blog, I just don't use it as a forum for my intelligence or writing. I hope that's okay.

Now I could tell you about seeing LCD Soundsystem on Friday night (totally fun in spite of my sickness) or dancing around like an idiot to Birdmonster last night for the umpteenth time thanks to too many gin and tonics. I could tell how how Mason Proper is fantastic, or how Jena Malone and Her Bloodstains totally freaked me out. That would all be just fine, but I feel as though it's time for a little seriousness. It comes around once in a blue moon, so do listen intently.

I heard a little while ago that my buddies A Brief Smile were going to be on 92.3. Growing up in the New York City area, I had listened to 92.3 a good amount of time (ok, I listened to Z100 a lot more, don't mock). It was KROQ, now WFNY, the alternative rock station in our area, and at one point had decent music, or so I think. But as time has passed, less people listen to commercial radio and for good reason. Not only are their djs annoying, but the quality of music has reached an all-time low. Thankfully, we have internet radio, blogs, and podcasts to help fulfill our musical needs.

Regardless, the fact that one of my favorite bands were going to get some airtime on a station that a whole bunch of people still listen to was pretty cool. I couldn't tune in when they were going to be on because I was at work, and frankly forgot about it until I saw a myspace blog post by the band.

also, we were on 92.3 on the "jv and elvis show" on tuesday. they said they enjoyed the music but chose to shout anti-gay slurs at us as way to make themselves feel better about the reality that nobody with half of a brain listens to regular radio anymore...or something...we didn't quite get it. [queerty, wfmu and doghouse blog all had something to say]

I checked out the links and was a bit shocked at what I found. In the comments on queerty, someone had uploaded the show, so I checked it out and found myself feeling quite uneasy about the whole experience. I cut down the show to their interview. You can listen below.

Listen: A Brief Smile on The Doghouse

I don't know when it became okay, or frankly in fashion, to use the word "faggot." But the more I hear people using it so loosely, the more disgusted with our culture I have become. The djs can say they used the word in a different connotation, but that does not make it okay. Regardless of John's sexual orientation, you cannot and do not use that word under any circumstance. The fact that these are young kids who were on the radio for the first time just makes it worse. These idiots (and I mean that sincerely) bullied and preyed for entertainment sake, and I find it morally, ethically, and socially unacceptable. What kind of country do we live in where people of this manner are paid to be heard? And the fact that people enjoy listening to this kind of talk is even worse.

I applaud John for speaking up. It couldn't have been easy and although it didn't do much good at the time, it's a valiant effort. Sure, he didn't go into the show with the best comments, but from the very beginning KROQ's djs seemed to find homophobic banter amusing. I personally don't feel the need to tell you not to listen to these djs or this show in the future, because I think if you had any sense or respect for humankind, you wouldn't associate yourselves with them in the first place. I am sorry that this band has this experience attached to their name. They understood the nature of the show when they agreed to be on it, but sometimes things just get out of hand.

I used to think I was far too naive to be involved in the music industry, but I wish that more people would look at the bigger picture and remember that entertainment isn't everything. People are people, no matter what. Respect isn't something to be privileged, it should be required.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online