Tuesday, May 15, 2007

if i found a rhyme then i would take the time and draw you one more line

Look at that! Two days in a row. I promised some babbling, so here I am.

One of the greater perks I have with my job is that sometimes I get advances of CDs that I don't know how to find on the internet when leaked, so I feel special when the mail comes in and something exciting lands on my desk. As a huge Tegan And Sara fan, I was thrilled to get a copy of their latest album The Con, which everyone is really excited about because Death Cab's Chris Walla produced it. After a couple listens I really like it, but its definitely a darker side to the pop-loving sisters, and I miss the perfection of their love songs of yesteryear. Ah well, give me a couple more days and I'll be singing a different tune. Keep a look out when it comes out.

I'm sitting at work eating delicious sour gummy worms from Whole Foods (organic, go figure) and thinking about the fact that I'm turning 23 in a couple weeks. This should be scary, I think (everyone over the age of 25 simultaneously rolls there eyes) but I don't find getting older that bad. In fact, every year has been better than the last so I imagine the best is yet to come. Plus, I'm having a super dooper birthday party which I'm really excited about which my wonderful boyfriend has put together. Lots of my favorite bands in tow, and fun times to be had. More details on that will be posted soon.

The one thing that birthdays always do to me is make me look back on the year before, and think how different things were just 365 days ago. It's weird to think I've been out of college for a whole year now. And then you think about how much can change in a year, not just with me, but with bands I've known for a long time. Unfortunately, some take a worse route that others. I don't want to name names, but well I'm going to anyways because this was a band that I felt had so much potential of the bat, but it's been a rocky road to discovery. Maybe it's just that it's not the road I wanted them to always take, but I can't help feeling that they now sound like a parody of a band I once adored. Listen to the first song here. If you ever heard this band's first EP, you'll know what I'm talking about.

But always one to end on a positive note, although Levy's formation has changed recently, the music is still as strong as I remember. James sent me an mp3 of their song "Glorious" off their album of the same name, out September on One Little Indian. I've heard a rough cut of the album and frankly it's pretty incredible. This is a band I think I'll always love and adore, even at 23, 43, 73. It's timeless.

Back to gummy worms.

Levy - Glorious

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online