Sunday, August 28, 2005

New York's Best Kept Secret

Officially moved in to my new apartment in Brooklyn. Officially obsessed. Spent most of the day unpacking and watching too many episodes of Futurama before realizing I needed to get out. Lana came by to check out the place and we traded summer in Europe stories before she had to leave for dinner plans. I called everyone in my phone to see what they were up to for the night. What's with everyone going away for the weekend? Guess it's almost the end of the summer, better get out while you still can.

Regardless, I wasn't going to sit inside all night so I hopped on the subway back into Manhattan to catch Underrated favorites A Brief Smile's first TISWAS show. I can't even count how many times I've seen these boys play now, but it had been a good couple months since they last played. There seemed to be a few nerves floating around pre-show, and understandably so. But personally, after listening to some new tracks over the summer, I knew they were up to something good.

The only disappointment last night was the fact that the open bar, well, wasn't so open. I am shocked, and relatively surprised that A Brief Smile haven't caught on in this city. They seem to be what everyone needs right now. Fresh, talented musicians that aren't trying to do what's "in" right now or attempt at some recycled 80's act. The new songs are incredibly meticulous and the old ones transformed to sound original. What A Brief Smile is now was executed perfectly in their last two songs: "And So It Begins" and "Perfect Mess." It was, hands down, the best I've seen them play in the year or so I've been watching them. A new EP is on its way with some of the reworked songs plus some new tunes. But for now check them out on their website or buy their EP on iTunes. Trust me, they won't be a secret for much longer.

A Brief Smile - And So It Begins (right click, save as)
A Brief Smile - We Could Get In Trouble (follow link)

Listen to more at myspace.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online