Saturday, July 21, 2007

don't be impressed

I began looking at old blog posts the other night and became a little sad that I no longer have time (or really, the energy) to keep this thing going. So I'm going to try and change that. My problem is that now that blogs have become such a big deal, I feel all this pressure to make every post worthwhile. That wasn't why I started this, and let's face it, I was never that impressive of a blogger. I gush about the same bands over and over again, write nonsensical reviews, and tell you how in love I am with (insert indie rock band here). And I was okay with that. And maybe some of you were too. So I'm back, to tell you, that I'm not here to impress.

What will impress you is the amount of shows I've been going to lately and the music I've been listening to (yay for new iPod!) I'll get to some new stuff soon (probably without MP3s, because I never remember to upload those), so you'll actually have to do some reading instead of stealing. Imagine that!

I'm not really sure where to begin. I've been at the Seaport every Friday. I saw 77 drummers play one Saturday afternoon. I saw the Decemberists for the first time and managed not to cringe during Grizzy Bear. Oh, and I brought my interns karaoking where I belted out Mandy Moore and Blind Melon. See! I told you I started to get out again.

But let's go recent with a show last weekend at Madison Square Garden. Yes, I went to MSG and yes, I saw Dispatch. Before you point your finger at me and laugh, I ask you to open up your mind a little bit and hear me out. For those of you who have read this blog for some time, you know about my musical history and Dispatch was a big part of it (although Guster, much bigger). So I wanted to go. I went on my own accord. And dammit, I had a blast.

See at these types of shows I feel free to have a good time. If I'm stuck in Mercury Lounge with a bunch of industry know it alls and hispters du jour, I will stand there planted and not move an inch. Because when I do start, my moves aren't of appropriate behavior by those peoples standards. But while at MSG with a bunch of high schoolers smoking pot around me, I danced my little behind, sang really loudly, and did the finger point. If you don't know what that is, you are better off.

I managed to actually use my trip to nostalgia for work, and interviewed Pete Francis of Dispatch for the CMJ Blog. You can read that, and see some pictures right here. If you want to be mean about it, don't, because it was all for Zimbabwe.

Last night I drank too many margaritas and headed over to Mercury Lounge (the place I'm not allowed to dance) to catch Underrated favorites Mason Proper. I've gushed about this band so much that you don't need to know anything more, except that I have decided that if I had enough confidence to front a band, I'd act exactly like lead singer Jonathan Visger. I love his spasms. It makes the show so incredible to watch. You can read my review here.

DSC00694

The band even managed to come to our office today for a super acoustic performance. It sure is fun having a job where you can see some of your favorite bands during your lunch break. With pizza in hand I hummed along to the four-song set, and was very excited to hear a cool b-side "Travelling Man (The Pond)." You can read that post here.

DSC00714

It's a busy weekend ahead, and I'm already tired just thinking about it. Tonight is Seaport and accompanying Pat to go grab a copy of Harry Potter (I'm not really a member of Pottermania, but I'll observe). Tomorrow Siren Fest and McCarren on Sunday. One of these days I'll take a night off to relax, but it doesn't look like any time soon.

I leave you with my grin of the day (new column perhaps? nah). White Rabbits performed on Letterman last night and they are the first band I know of that didn't look totally scared shitless when on national TV for the first time. In fact, they sound pretty spectacular. Check out the video below. Yay!

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online