Sunday, March 30, 2008

Your Ex-Lover Is Dead



I've been watching a lot of Degrassi lately. I never really watched the show up before meeting Pat, and I've since found myself waiting for Sunday mornings to catch the repeats on the WB. Then came The N, and basically in light of my recent unemployment, I've almost gotten a grasp on all the different dramas that have gone through the cast of characters, although I find myself asking Pat a lot of questions still. Cause, you know, they "go there."

I've turned a lot of my attention lately to TV, rather than music. It's an awfully strange experience when something has basically occupied your entire life to be so accepting of its place on the back burner. But like everyone who I tell that I think I'm done writing about music, they seem to all respond: well, you're probably burnt out. And perhaps they are right, and perhaps this "break" between music and myself will only be beneficial. For the first time in a very long while I've found myself not listening to what I should be listening to, but instead what I want to be listening to. Who cares if it came out three years ago, who cares if they weren't some buzz band, or if they were. I'm paying attention to what I want for a change, and it feels kind of nice.

Last week, my first real week of unemployment, I went to see three bands just for kicks. I wasn't worried about writing about them, or taking pictures, or meeting the right people—I found comfort in hiding in the back of venues once again, and just listening to what was in front of me. As it turned out, I liked the two bands I knew nothing about, and was underwhelmed by the one I thought was the greatest thing ever. I will always love the art of finding and falling in love with certain bands, or albums or songs, but it feels nice to be sure that there are no ulterior motives.

So music is kind of like an ex-lover. An ex-lover is far different than an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend, and forgive me for quoting Carrie Bradshaw, but it helps if you pronounce it "lovah." Because an ex-lover is free from guilt or heartbreak, and only the fond memories are remembered. Which made me go back to a song I quite liked, which was featured in an episode of Degrassi I was watching tonight: Stars' "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead." And as strange as it seems, its lyrics seem quite appropriate to my "relationship" with music today.

Live through this, and you won't look back...
There's one thing I want to say, so I'll be brave
You were what I wanted
I gave what I gave
I'm not sorry I met you
I'm not sorry it's over
I'm not sorry there's nothing to save


MP3: Stars - Your Ex-Lover Is Dead

2 Comments:

Highwaisted said...

my bf loves degrassi. he is addicted.

magickat said...

I LOVE Degrassi. I used to watch the original Degrassi on PBS back in the early 90's and found this new version while flicking through the channels on day. The students from the original are now parents of the new cast as well as their teachers and so on. It's so chessy I love it.

blogger templates | Make Money Online