Thursday, March 29, 2007

Mercury Lounge: Open For Business

A little while ago, someone told me that Mercury Lounge might be closing. If you've talked to me (sober or not) you'd probably heard me complain that there is a lack of good venues left in the city. I have a lot of bands asking me for help when they come to NYC, and I just don't know what to tell them anymore. If a band is on tour and needing to make money by having a good gig with people who will come out to the show regardless of the lineup, there are venues few and far between. So when I heard my beloved Mercury Lounge might be turning into an apartment complex, that was not a step in the right direction.

And then this morning, I saw this post on Paper Mag:

According to New Media Feed, the reason for the shut down is linked to real estate development. Raises in rent and plans for high-rise luxury condos have already forced out other key venues in the neighborhood such as the Luna Lounge (which re-located to Brooklyn) and Sin-e (which will shut its doors soon).

So the little reporter than I now apparently am, I reached out for either a confirmation or denial. And thankfully this is the official word:

total bullshit, some dick box started the rumor.

Phew. Top-notch reporting right here.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online