Friday, September 21, 2007

oh did the fortune teller say...

Like Laura Burhenn of Georgie James says, "it's been a long week."

I'm always happy to see a Friday, and probably because my little Jukeboxers (my new name for Jukebox The Ghost) have been occupying Pianos for the past three weeks. It's been a fun run, but sadly all good things must come to an end, so come celebrate tonight with me. I'm so proud of these boys, they really have perfected their live show and every one feels it in that cramped room. It's a joy to watch them each week, and I'll be sad to see them leave New York. Sigh. They'll be back for CMJ though.

I tried to come up with something creative for this blog, but of course I'm left sitting here scrambling my brain. Perhaps I've wiped out all creativity, or perhaps so many other bloggers are doing bigger and better things and it's almost not worth the try. Or maybe writing all day has taken its toll. Or perhaps there's just not any music that is making me ga-ga these days. All the artists I'm usually listening to, I've been listening to for a long time. It's been a while since a band has really taken me over. I await patiently. Please?

But like always, I'll find some fun indie pop to keep me occupied until some cute band of boys comes my way. I've been really digging Georgie James and Kate Nash lately, so much so that I've made it a new priority of mine to learn each word to each of their songs so late at night I can pretend I'm them. Or maybe for karaoke. Take your choice. I'm really excited to see Kate Nash next week at Joe's Pub. Her album isn't perfection, but I like her spunk. It's a bit too cheesy for my liking (imagine that), but I think she's got more in her. The Lily Allen comparison may be lazy, sure, I think she's more a British Regina Spektor, on her way. Plus, I like the dresses she wears.

The first Georgie James song I heard was "Long Week," the inspiration of this post. I was convinced it was a cover, because I immediately knew the words but can't seem to find anything online proving that fact. So then I found the rest of the album and was in completely heaven - a flawless album that’s both insightful and inviting, and jeez, I can't gush enough.

Happy Friday everyone. Tomorrow I'm off to avoid being squashed at Les Savy Fav while my boyfriend is sure to go crazy. And oddly, I'm pretty excited.

Oh yeah, I'm also obsessed with Kanye West. More on that another time though.

  • Georgie James - Long Week
  • Kate Nash - Foundations
  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online