Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Rescue Me | Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon

So I was talking to my friend Wes yesterday and came to the conclusion that I may not be a total music expert, but when it comes to TV and music as a combination, I may have a few things to say. And even though I hardly get to write up the shows I'm going to these days (PS - Beirut last night was frickin awesome), I always seem to have time to catch up on my favorite shows...and there are a lot of them. (Thank you DVR!)

So I'm going to attempt to focus this blog a bit about recaps on my shows (sorry if they will be a day late, i.e. I haven't watched last night's Heroes yet), and give some fun insight on the music and bands used in the show. Of course, I'll still be posting some regular blog posts here and there, because you know I have those 5-6 bands that I obsess about on a regular basis.

On Saturday, Pat and I decided to skip Les Savy Fav (don't shoot us) and instead got caught up in the first season of Rescue Me. Pat has been watching the show pretty religiously since the beginning but this was my first real exposure to the life of a couple firefighters in New York post-9/11. Starring Denis Leary, the raunchy escapades of a couple of guys actually turns out to be pretty realistic, portraying New York post the attacks in an honest and unforgiving light. Of course, there's tons of drama in the way, but Leary really holds his own as an Irish man (with a small butt) who can't get past the deaths of his cousin and the fires of his past.

Music-wise, I'm still behind (only mid-second season now) so everything is a bit behind, but I have to give the show credit for picking the most appropriate theme song to attach to the show. The Von Bondie's "C'mon C'mon" wouldn't have been the most obvious choice, but after listening to the lyrics, matched to the opening scenes, it's perfect. Just take a look at the lyrics:

On another day c'mon c'mon
With these ropes tied tight can we do no wrong
Now we grieve 'cause now it's gone
Things were good when we were young

With my teeth bite down I can see the blood
Of a thousand men who have come and gone
Now we grieve 'cause now it's gone
Things were good when we were young

Is it safe to say? (c'mon c'mon)
Was it right to leave? (c'mon c'mon)
Will I ever learn? (c'mon c'mon)
(c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon)

I applaud the network, show, and music supervisors for the daring choice, and daring to take a show that could have been far too deep in its own nationalization to realize the true after-effects of a national tragedy. No one is perfect, no situation simple and Rescue Me doesn't apologize for that fact. I can't wait to catch up to the rest of the seasons.

Check out the opening scenes of the show and feel free to download the track below. Rescue Me just wrapped up its fourth season, airing Wednesday nights at 10 on FX.


  • The Von Bondies - Cmon Cmon
  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online