Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Bite that Apple

I miss New York. It's only been a few days, but I am lost without my city. What am I going to do once I go to London? I suppose I'll survive. And because I miss my city and because I'm supposed to be the advocate for local bands, or something, we'll feature some hometown heroes that are making waves these days.

Cut The Wires
I received this album awhile ago and keep hearing great things about this band, but haven't had the time to give it proper listen. Now that all I seem to have is time on my hands, I believe the hype lives up. I read this in In Sound a little while ago, and thought it was great:

You already love Cut The Wires. Even if you don't love their NYC surroundings, you love them. You love their muscular rhythm section joining jagged surgical-strike guitar to form a dense yet agile sound, the sonic equivalent of sumo wrestlers pulling off Swan Lake. "So Long, So What" is a little bit trashy and a lot bit pop, and you dig that. You love the little wiggles you see out of your fellow clubgoers when they hear it, and you can't help but join them. You love this band.

They sum it up much better than I ever could, so take a listen:
  • So Long, So What
  • Antisocial
  • I Hold On

    Country Club
    It's been commonly said that flattery will win yourself into anyone's heart, and yes, it is true. So when I received a hand written letter quoting one of my editorials accompanied to their EP, I couldn't help but be enamored. Of course, it didn't hurt that the music rocked my socks off as well. Country Club mixes all sort of instruments together for its jam band meets rock and roll sound that I can only imagine translates perfectly on stage. You can catch them June 11 at Mercury when they officially release the EP Friends Don't Make Forearms. Here's a little sneak-peak.
  • Have It
  • Pretty Little Suicide
  • View Master

    The Five O'Clock Heroes
    I've talked about this band enough for you to know the deal by now (see below). I can't seem to stop listening to them. Is there some sort of hidden message, I wouldn't be surprised. However after I saw them at Warsaw, all I wanted to do was see them again. I'm bummed I'll miss then when they come back to New York this July. I'm seriously addicted. You should go see them for me. And then I could be considered a drug dealer. How scandalous.
  • Head Games
  • Stay The Night
  • Anyone Home

    The Upwelling
    The boys have been laying low recently due to some lineup changes, but fear not, they are coming back to a venue near you in a few weeks. Thanks to yours truly, I got my favorite unreleased track back up on their website. Check out "Worthy Enemy" and listen to the rest of the tracks while you are there. I'm pretty sure I'm bordering on psychotic according to them, and I'm shocked at my ability to prove myself otherwise. I guess it's all in the love for music...or something like that. They play Southpaw on June 8 and Mercury Lounge June 22.
  • Check out The Upwelling tracks here.

    I slept for 12 hours last night, that's not normal. Get me back to the city that never sleeps pronto.

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online