Monday, May 23, 2005

Forever Young

Wow, just had a mini-meltdown right there. See that little countdown over to your right? Yes, that’s right. It is single digits until my birthday, officially, but that also means just days away from unveiling Issue Six at our show at Tribeca. Everything was sent to the printer weeks ago, but they decide to call me TODAY to tell me that text is too close to the border, and that I have to upload everything again. When I asked if it was going to be back to me in time, I was put on hold, and now I'm waiting for a phone call back. Funny, I had a dream last night that I received back all the copies of the magazine and they looked terrible. This is just great. Just great.

Prior to this news, things were quite nice. I'm enjoying a couple days back at the parent's house in Jersey. Caught Hot Hot Heat on Friday for a surprisingly entertaining show (must be the hair). Of course I was late, like usual, and missed Robbers on High St. The weekend was spent with a lot of family time, which can usually be a bit too much, but I survived. Last night I was watching Gray's Anatomy and it was the second week in a row that they played a song by my favorite feisty female, Nellie McKay.

Nellie McKay was on the cover of our third issue, and hands-down one of the coolest people to interview. It was refreshing, for me, after being scared out of my mind for most interviews, to talk to someone my own age, and experiencing the same self-doubt. Since we chatted, Miss McKay has gone on to be critically acclaimed in basically every music magazine in the country, and will star in a movie and a Broadway show opposite Alan Cummings next year. Not to shabby for someone who isn't 21 yet either.

Nellie McKay is prepping to release her new album this fall. It will be the follow-up to her double disc debut, the sensational Get Away From Me. In the meantime, you can check out this New York gal play at Irving Plaza alongside Cyndi Lauper and Natalie Merchant on May 23 for The Concert to Benefit the Friends of Theresa Fund. I think McKay just may be the savior for female vocalists of our generation. She's definitely the most unique artist I've heard, mixing crafty and cheeky outspoken lyrics, with her Doris Day, girl next-door voice. Check her out for yourself:

  • Nellie McKay - David
  • Nellie McKay - Inner Peace
  • Nellie McKay - Dog Song (Live)
  • Nellie McKay - It's A Pose (Live)

  • 1 Comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
    I have a cd music site.
    Come and check it out if you get time :-)
    Greetings.

    blogger templates | Make Money Online