Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Out With The Old, In With The New

It's that time again, spring cleaning. I've been prepping my apartment for weeks now, thinking of what I should keep, what I can donate, what should basically be just thrown away. I have a hard time parting with anything. Especially when it comes to bands.

Without being malicious or even pointing fingers, let's just say that I decided today that I had to give up a band. Indefinitely. And I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about everything, but there has to come a point where you take a step back and ask yourself if it has all been worth it. I had such high hopes from the beginning. But somewhere along the line, things got shady. I ended up feeling like an idiot most of the time and grew tired of hearing excuses. I can only take so much. I am human after all, but I'm not dumb. One part editor, another part fan, I had to draw the line somewhere. Too bad their music is so god damn good. (Ahh, I'm so weak. I don't know if I'm ready...just yet...)

But as the title suggests, we are out with the old, and in with the new. Last night I finally checked out The Five O'Clock Heroes over in Brooklyn at Warsaw, opening up for The Bravery. I have been meaning to see this guys for awhile now, their EP Head Games has been on heavy rotation (okay repetition) since I first got my hands on it. Scheduling conflicts, deadlines, etc has delayed me, but I made it. And I was immediately taken.

These guys have it. They've got the presence, they've got the songs, and it doesn't hurt to have the look as well. I found myself not really able to take my eyes away from the stage, and even more impossible to stand still. There are few bands that on stage can exert that sort of energy that permeates through a pure rock song. Maybe it's their England meets New York background. Maybe they just can't help themselves. But last night, The Five O'Clock Heroes got it dead on.

I'm interviewing the boys tomorrow for the cover story of the next issue out in September, so I'll let you know how that goes on Friday. I didn't stick around to see The Bravery (I'm sure you are all upset -- be nice) because I had to jet set back into Manhattan to hear the new Oasis album. In spite of the absurdly $7 priced beers, and an interesting crowd, from what I heard of the album, I was pretty satisfied. Matt GoStation was there, and he's given the whole album a listen. Not the big sound he wanted from Oasis, but he's got some favorite tracks already. I'll have to give it a full listen when it hits stores May 31.

Well friends, tonight is THE night. Chris Martin and the rest of the boys of Coldplay will be a few feet in front of me, playing their hearts out. I'm sure it will be wonderful. I am missing Mando Diao and Crystal Skulls for this. But hey trust me, I'm not complaining. This band is one I'm holding onto for a little bit longer.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online