Friday, May 20, 2005

Tick Tock

And so it goes...I listen to a band, do extensive research, go see them play live, and then interview them. The order could be jumbled, but that's usually how it goes. Last night I met up with Antony Ellis and Elliot Thompson, two ever so delightful members of that band I've been talking about, The Five O'Clock Heroes. This was the first time I think I've ever gone in completely blind. No bio, no background. I've only listen to their EP Head Games a billion times, and caught them on Tuesday at Warsaw. If anything, I knew these guys could write a catchy songs that stay in my head for days. But on the walk over to the bar on Avenue B I began to feel a bit nervous that I wasn't prepared. I always get a pit in my stomach before any interview. However, as soon as I sat down, and began sipping my cranberry and vodka, everything just seem to fly by swimmingly.


To say I was taken by these boys is an understatement. The charm of UK meets America oozed out of these two strapping young fellas. I heard all about the tour that brought them all over the UK, what they wished they could have in their riders, and how everything in their band has seemed to move forward in baby steps. Antony divulged that during the recording of Head Games his voice was getting strained, so he ran two blocks to the nearest bar for six shots of whisky. The entire EP was recorded in one day, so time was of the essence. Luckily he was given a 'to go' cup to drink on the run back to the studio. By the time he made it back, he was drunk. The takes didn't make the final cut, but one day we can only hope there will be a box set of Antony's drunken sessions. Or something. But what about those catchy hits? "I just want to write something that will be remembered," he said. "And not a cheeseball," he added, in that ever so swoonworthy British accent. You can read all about the boys in the next next issue of Underrated out in September.

For me, this was the first time I didn't say anything completely stupid in an interview. There's always that one comment I'll make usually where a band or musician will give me a strange look, and I'll lose any credibility I had swindled my way of convincing them beforehand. This time, I managed to make two hours without looking stupid. Hooray!

Anyways, do yourself a favor and watch their very cool video for their latest single, "Head Games" that will be released this fall in the UK to coincide with the release of the EP here in the States. They boys left today for their headlining tour overseas but will be back in July. And watch out, in due time...these guys are going to be huge.

MP3s -- reposted, I'll get you new ones next week I swear (right click, save as)
  • The Five O'Clock Heroes - Run To Her
  • The Five O'Clock Heroes - Turn It Up

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online