Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Melody Gardot @ Rockwood Music Hall

Every time I know I’m heading to Rockwood Music Hall, I make it a point to drink only wine. Why? Because Rockwood is classy. Quite possibly my favorite venue in New York, the quaint and cozy room has featured some of the best burgeoning artists that don’t rely on noisy production or yelling. This is a place where you can actually hear the vibrato of one’s voice, or the soft quiver of a trumpet. I could gush about this venue all day and all night, but let’s focus in on one particular night, shall we?

Melody Gardot @ Rockwood

Melody Gardot defines cool.

This young songstress from Philly has the voice of, I’d like to say an angel, but it’s not. It’s beautiful, yes. But it’s no angel. It’s got a certain backbone of swine, that when watching her perform, you know that she’s hiding something. A certain smirk, or a coo in her voice validates that fact. But I’ll tell you this, you’ll be transpired while watching her. I’m always awkward sitting directly in front of a performer, but this time I was too captivated to notice. It wasn’t the first time I had seen Melody play, but for some reason I was blatantly impressed.

I love artists that have carelessness in their voice, proving that their talent is one of those things that they didn’t really chose. Melody wears sunglasses throughout her entire set, due to an unfortunate accident that happened a few years back. But I think the getup works for her, musically. It’s almost as if she emotes a time warp back into the jazz boom of the 1920’s. And yes, she covered “Caravan” which, I must admit, gave me chills.

Downright inspiring, Melody’s music is both heartbreaking and pure that I can only imagine will get better with age. Her latest album Worrisome Heart is worth every penny. Check out her website to listen to a few tracks or on her myspace.

  • Melody Gardot - Love Me Like A River
  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online