Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Underrated's Top 25 Songs of 2006

Well here it is my friends. The final list of 2006 and frankly I need a nap after all this. But I couldn't let this year go by without pointing out some of my favorite songs. I opted to leave out all the artists on my Top 25 Albums and Top 5 EPs so that we could share the love. Most of these songs ended up being songs I djed for most of the year, which seems suitable. As appreciative as I am of the subtle art of a complete record, I've always been a songs type of gal. It was hard, once again to nail it down to just this many and actually order them, but I did my best.

Enjoy.

1. Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John [mp3]
This song was on practically everyone's year-end song list, and with good reason. I think I must have played this song a record 1,000 times this year. And that's not counting my iPod. This is song writing at it's perfection, the lackadaisical melody that is incredibly inviting, combined with whistling. Yes whistling. If you can get a great song and add someone whistling, you've immediately won me over. Not to mention the dueling vocals, as well. If someone was teaching a class with the fundamentals of an indie hit, this would be lesson #1. You can't get much better than this.

2. The Plot - White Rabbits [mp3]
This seems ridiculous to put a song that I only heard less than two months ago at #2 of my year of songs post. But trust me. I know when I love a song, and this song was immediately pressed on repeat. I remember the first time I saw this band play, the song was already stuck in my head after the first chorus. That's when you know it's good. I hear that's called memorable? Ah yes. That is good.

3. Cobrastyle - Teddybears [mp3]
This was easily my favorite song to dj, and if no one else was dancing you could bet I would be. Nora first told me about this Swedish group, and then I think I saw this song on an episode of Entourage and was hooked. It's a little bit reggae, a little rock, with nonsense words that are incredibly difficult to utter after a couple drinks. But hands down, the most fun track of the year that will always put me in a party mood.

4. Sexyback - Justin Timberlake [mp3]
Shocked, yes shocked to have Justin Timberlake on my playlist. No, it's not that I'm opposed to any #1 hits or anything on commercial radio (trust me), but as a reformed teeny bopper I hated N'Sync. I even hated Justin Timberlake for a while too. But this song is so god damn catchy that I could not have left it out of my list, let alone out of the top five. Will I ever get sick of it? Probably. But right now, I'm bringing sexy back.

5. Dancing Shoes - Arctic Monkeys [mp3]
This song was so good, I named a party after it. I was hesitant not to include their full-length album in my top ten, but I must admit that every time I listened to it, I kept coming back to this song. It brings me back to my nights at Pianos with great fondness, and even playing it every single week, it never got old. It's got a great beat, a pounding chorus and well...let's face it, it's impossible not to dance to. Oh man, I'm dancing right now.

6. Over and Over - Hot Chip [mp3]
My roommate plays this song, a lot. Something to do with her time at Urban, I crown this song the indie kid's dance anthem of the year. It's not too in your face that spazzing will ensue, but chill enough that even the worst dancers can find the beat. That's all the hipsters ask for, right? Not to look like a fool? The Hot Chip remixes are always superb, but this track takes the cake. Repetitive without apologies, I could groove to this track for all of 2007.

7. Lost (On An Island) - The Undisputed Heavyweights [mp3]
It's no shocker that I am completely obsessed with The Undisputed Heavyweights. I plan to follow them around until I get the boot, and will sing every single one of their songs as loud as I possibly can, although I'll never be able to outshine Mr. Casey Shea. I had a very hard time trying to pick my favorite song of theirs of the year, but I had to side with our shared obsession. The Heavyweights and I are equally as in love with Lost, and they even went to the extreme of writing a song inspired by that wacky TV show. What resulted was a beautiful love song harboring on the swooning of old school greats, perfectly executed with charm and finesse. I'll never forget the first time I heard them play this song live at Rockwood, when Casey shot me a little grin before they started. In only took a second for me to fall completely in love.

8. Ooh La La - Goldfrapp [mp3]
I'm always floored whenever I dj this song and the crowd goes nuts. The build up is pure intoxication and Goldfrapp kick it up a notch in all the right places. If you stand still during this song, I urge you to check yourself into a hospital. It's a flirty escape into europop for exactly three minutes. Don't resist the pull. Just go with it. Let loose. Go crazy.

9. Postcards From Italy - Beirut [mp3]
Everything told me to hate Beirut. They were creamed to the crop by the blogosphere, I couldn't dance to it, and it sounded weird upon first listen. I wanted to hate it. I really did. But then I found myself listening to Postcards From Italy over and over again and daydreaming that I was traveling in Europe with some tall dark and handsome suitor with a very big floppy hair. (Don't know why the hat, but just go with it). With the nice opening strum of the guitar, to the falsetto in this young boys voice, and even the addition of a horn section, Beirut has justified its take on a completely forgotten genre and in the process made it cool again. Quite the achievement, if you ask me.

10. Everyone's Starting Over (Casettes Wont Listen Remix) - The Diggs [mp3]
I was in love with this song even before I heard it, that love on premise alone. See, I love The Diggs. Always have, always will. My favorite song on their debut album was hands down "Everyone's Starting Over." So when I heard New York genius Cassettes Wont Listen was doing a remix, I was so pumped. Luckily enough, it came out flawless, with a dreamy like electronic mix perfectly combating Tim's powerful vocals. Someone get this ready for a movie or a commercial. I wanna hear it everywhere.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online