Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sure Juror - SMUT

sure juror @ pianos

I was told I wasn't allowed to post about this album for some time. Not cool. I've had this album for a couple months now, and have listened to it habitually. I would have even included it on my Top 25 Albums of 2006 but I wasn't sure whether it was to be released this year or not. Their loss.

Kidding.

SMUT is the second album from New Jersey's Sure Juror. If you remember, I quite liked their first album, and was excited about their new tracks. As cliché as it sounds, I really can't think of a band that sounds anything like them. Quirky always comes to mind, but it's a bit more than that. SMUT proves that they really take song structuring to a new level. No where in this album will you find a mundane verse/chorus/verse palate. With songs that run into each other, and interspersed clips from various movies and TV shows, it's honestly a work of art from beginning to end.

It's a lot to digest, and yet most of the songs will be immediately memorable. Quite the accomplishment, I'd say. Each time I listen I find a new moment in a new song that I have to listen to over and over again to figure it out. Don't worry though; this album doesn't take a lot of work to like. You'll be hooked.

When I first listened to their debut album, I was captivated by "Sleeping Pill (what to do the morning after)" for no reason other than I really didn't understand it. The same thing happened once again, but in a completely different fashion, with the closing track of SMUT "Barking Dogs (Pt 2)." Clocking in at just short of 8 minutes, I cannot describe it other than using the word epic. Perhaps that's what I like most about Sure Juror, the indescribable. "Barking Dogs (Pt 2)" takes you through basically a roller-coaster of recording techniques, putting everything you've just heard throughout the entire blender and letting it loose. Sped up vocals, obscure clips, a haunting melody, and something resembling a techno loop is just part of what makes this song stand out. By end you are left completely confused, but incredibly impressed.

  • Sure Juror - Barking Dogs (Pt 2)

    SMUT is now available for purchase over at the band's website for a measly $8. There are a few more mp3s from SMUT as well as their first album in its entirety for free.

    You will see the band back in NYC for their first full set at Underrated Presents on January 27 at Sin-e. More details soon, I promise.

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online