Thursday, February 8, 2007

Movies That Rock: Factory Girl

After Sunday's terrible terrible movie-going experience (do not go see Because I Said So, repeat: do not go see it), I was itching to see a pretty quality flick. Actually in reality, I just didn't want to be disappointed. I had great expectations for that Mandy Moore flick (don't judge) that I figured I might as well go see a movie that I was pretty sure would suck. So there I went, to check out the contravesial, almost never saw the light of day movie, Factory Girl. And to my complete surprise, I totally loved it.

>


Of course everyone knows of Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgwick, but like many things in my life -- I know things just on the surface. I didn't really know anything about her life, or the relationship with Warhol himself. She was, to me, one of the first "it" girls who fell into Factory life and therefore her life was eventful but short. She was beautiful, and mystifying. She's a pop culture heroine, representing New York in the 60's, and a culture of the weird and underground. Basically, right up my alley.

And yet I knew more about the making of this film than Sedgwick herself. Being a pop culture aficionado I pretend to be, I read up on all things movies and television just as much as music. I always liked Sienna Miller, and felt her tabloid life hindered any chance of her being taken seriously. And yet, it's ironic that it was her tabloid life that got her back into this film (they dropped her thinking she wasn't big enough of a name at first). I have to say, this is one of the strongest performances I have seen in quite some time, and had the release of this film been under different circumstances, I do believe she would have gotten an Oscar nomination. Quite unfortunate. And quite Edie.

What makes Factory Girl a quality film is the acting. The story itself seemed a bit rushed at times, and I'd be interested to see the original cut (a lot of her relationship with Bob Dylan was taken out after Dylan himself threatened to sue). Guy Pearce was so Andy it was almost scary at times, but perfectly mixed sarcasm and humor into an incredible performance. And Hayden. Oh Hayden. You've never sounded or looked so attractive and I only wish they would have made you sing.

The film itself is short and sweet, just like our dear Edie. You wish it could have lasted longer, but after the fact you feel as though you'd seen it all. My only problem? Could have had a killer soundtrack.

  • Bob Dylan - Just Like A Woman
  • The Velvet Underground - Femme Fatale
  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online