Monday, February 26, 2007

i miss you too.

Wow. I feel as though this blog has become that old high school friend that you keep meaning to call, but never seem to find the time. And you feel so gosh darn guilty, but again...you don't really do anything about it. So blog, I'm sorry. I'm here now -- what's new?

Well, quite a bit, and nothing at all. Last week was pretty exhausting and exhilarating, and I'm pretty sure I had enough mood swings for one girls' lifetime. Perhaps it was lack of sleep. The Ra Ra Riot show on Wednesday night was the best I've ever seen them play. They had enough courage to let their energy permeate throughout the crowd. Now that the songs are reworked and sounding better than ever, their live show has really reached a whole new level. And Canal Room? Albeit a beautiful venue but in sound and look, $9 for a gin & tonic is a big no-no in my book. Boo, Canal Room, boo.

Thursdays djing continued with the Rachael-needs-so-much-sleep theme, as I cut out early and left Nora to her expertise. After a long day at work (I made it through a week!) I hopped over to Union Hall for that little band I cant stop talking about the White Rabbits. I was beyond excited to see them, and I think it showed. I stood right up front and sang every single frickin word to every song. I should have been embarrassed, but I was having too much fun. Because there wasn't enough room for all of them on stage, they had a drum set up within the crowd. It was pretty amazing to watch. I seriously need to get every person I know out to see this band. I talk about them enough, that they need to see it for themselves.

But it was pretty tricky to get into Friday's night show, as they were playing a very small venue with French Kicks, who if you have been reading this blog for some time, know I have a bit of a history with. Sounds scandalous, doesn't it? Like I had some secret affair where I ran off to the Caribbean with one of them and wrote a tell-all about it later before making my millions. Ah, a girl can dream. No no, sadly it was just an awesome interview experience and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this band. A lot of people gave up in light of their last album, but I actually quite liked hearing it on record. 

However, for some reason, on Friday they less than entertained me. Perhaps it was the fact they followed White Rabbits, or perhaps it was the fact that there were a group of annoying girls up front who wouldn't stop pushing through, but I ended up leaving half way through to head back to the city. I do love me some French Kicks, but I also wish that they'd play some old tunes once in a while. Hearing what they have in store made me just a little bit concerned. And yet once I got back into the city that night I managed to almost get in a fist fight with some girl, walked down the street with a gin&tonic from a bar, and didnt get home til 5:30 AM. Something tells me I should have just stayed to watch French Kicks.

My plan to stay in on Saturday didn't exactly work out so well. I had dreams of laying in bed and watching 24 and passing out at 10 PM, but I'm a bit of a night owl, so that changed. I hopped just around the corner to Parkside, where I ran into more people I knew then I'd ever expect (people actually go to Parkside? Who knew!) I caught a set by a Philly band called Blue Sinatra, and had so much fun watching them. It's got a little scat, a little ska, and a lot of fun. They all ended up playing the drums by the end of the set, and the lead singer even played his keyboards with his feet AND his stool. Now that is showmanship if I ever saw it.

I considered live blogging the Oscars last night, but again...was too tired. I did managed to head all the way to Queens to eat some delicious spinach dip and laugh more than ever imagined. That's so much better than live blogging on your own.

I swear I'll have some proper posts once I get the hang of all this. Meanwhile, there's two awesome shows this week that I better see you at: A Brief Smile/Mason Proper @ Sin-e on Thursday, and Jukebox The Ghost on Saturday. More details on that last one soon.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online