Friday, October 28, 2005

Out of This World

Last night was exactly what I needed. I managed to nap for an hour before jetting to Bowery Ballroom just in time to catch We Are Scientists. All the subways were waiting for me. I got there in no time. Perhaps something is right in this crazy world.

I don't know how to really explain how good this band is. They are almost too good, that they are making all of the other New York bands look bad. I don't understand how they can write songs so god damn catchy that I cant stop listening to the album, and to bring that album to a completely new level live. When I saw them at Scenic for CMJ it was a short-lived treat. That weekend was so crazy that I couldn't digest this band. Last night was a utopia.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they played their entire album besides "Nobody Move, Nobody Hurt" and "Textbook" plus a new song. Three person bands no longer impress me. Apparently that's all you need to fill up Bowery Ballroom. And even with guitar strings breaking, it provided for a unique set with hysterical band banter. The guy in front of me was dancing his ass off and I felt his energy. I don't know how anyone in that place could have stood still, I wished it had been a crazy dance party cause that would have been cool.

Highlights for me were "Lousy Reputation" and the oooh and aahs of "Can't Lose." Okay and ending it with "Great Escape," you couldn't have asked for anything more. Keith decided he had enough of his broken guitar and enough of his microphone, and found himself on top of the drum set. It was anarchy, and I loved every second of it.

We Are Scientists @ Bowery Ballroom

We Are Scientists @ Bowery Ballroom

We Are Scientists @ Bowery Ballroom

We Are Scientists @ Bowery Ballroom

We Are Scientists @ Bowery Ballroom


I met up with Jo, who I spent the summer with in London and we caught up in-between acts. I stayed for a bit of Ambulance LTD's set, but was exhausted.

Tonight head over to Pianos to check out The Undisputed Heavyweights or head over to Fat Baby for Morning Theft performing Weezer's Blue Album. I'm going to try and do both.

More pictures from last night on flickr.

DOWNLOAD:
  • We Are Scientists - Lousy Reputation
  • Ambulance Ltd - Stay Where You Are
  • The Undisputed Heavyweights - Money
  • Morning Theft - Living With Your Ghost

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online