Monday, October 31, 2005

Crack The Whip

Happy Halloween! Right? Right.

I don't have a costume and I'm making it my fourth year in a row that I won't make it to the parade. It's sad, yes. And I would like to, of course. But it's one week people. One week until Issue Seven and while it's started to take shape (and look super cool), there's a lot of work to be done. So no, I will not be celebrating this holiday. But you go ahead.

Friday I ditched out of work early (shh) so I could head to my apartment and unwind a bit before heading back into the city. I called up Liz who was down to meet me at Pianos so I proceeded to hop on the subway. When I arrived at Pianos I spotted a large man outside with some crazy ID swiping machine. When did this happen? I called up Liz and told her she wouldn't be able to get in, and she was okay with that because her boyfriend was on the phone from Germany or Switzerland or wherever he is these days and she wasn't going to come anyways. Oh well.

So I made my way through the packed crowd for Pianos 3 year anniversary and found Jerry in the back. The Undisputed Heavyweights were already up on stage and about to start. Perfect timing. They opened with "Money" if I remember correctly, and for the next half hour I was taken through many different styles and genres of music, all coming out of some pretty talented guys. I was pleasantly surprised, and I can say that there is definitely no band like this in NYC. They have the perfect amount of crazy and an inane amount of musicality in each song.

When lead singer Casey Shea wasn't praising the lord (I went with it), he dedicated a song to yours truly. For my birthday show, The GoStation sang me happy birthday, but this was the first time I actually got a legit shout out from the stage. At first I figured it was some other Rachael. But then he mentioned that this Rachael had lost her job that week. Ah ha. Thanks Wes, that was very sweet. And yes, damn the man.

The Undisputed Heavyweights @ Pianos

Unfortunately we didn't get to see the whole set because we were off to Fat Baby to see a very cool performance. Morning Theft was performing as Weezer and playing the Blue Album from start to finish. Georgia met me over there, and she was pretty excited. She's definitely the biggest Weezer fan I know.

Fat Baby was beyond packed, which is quite impressive for only opening this Wednesday. We got a drink upstairs and began chatting away like we usually do, until I looked down at my watch and realized we were missing the show. We quickly went downstairs and entered a hot colossal mass of people singing their hearts out. It was quite a sight. Morning Theft did an amazing job. I never really got into Weezer that much, for no real reason. But I enjoyed the set thoroughly. And Ms. Georgia gave them a very big thumbs up. She was standing up on chairs and dancing along, if that's any sign of approval.

Morning Theft as Weezer @ Fat Baby

For the rest of the night we relaxed in the very comfy couches and rocked out to Nora's spinning. I guess I should inform you now then, that I'm very excited that Nora will also be spinning Underrated Magazine's Issue Seven Release Party on November 18. And there may be some more crazy collaborations in the future. Get ready to dance.

We called it quits at about 3 in the morning and I was in no state to wait for the Q all night. I hopped into a cab, asked if it was okay to head back to Brooklyn and had hands down the coolest cab driver in my life. We chatted the entire way home, telling our own life stories and experiences in New York. It's funny, I wrote a play about a cab driver about two years ago and have been working on it ever since. He gave me a whole new character and scene to work with. I felt inspired. Plus, he wouldn't let me tip him because he said in five years I'd get back into his cab as a millionaire, and only then would he let me give him a tip. Too cool.

The rest of the weekend I went back to Jersey to come to terms with my parents moving. Don't get me wrong, I'm still really excited to visit them in London, but the reality of the situation kicked in. I came home to find out my car had already been sold (I didn't even get to say goodbye) and a for sale sign outside our house. But my dad did bring me back two issues of NME and the latest Q. That made me pretty happy. I met up with some old pals and collectively drank our whole town away. It's great to get a rum and coke in a huge class and only pay $4. You can't get that in New York.

I had planned to get a lot of work done yesterday but I was kicked out of my house so that realtors could prance through and take my house away from me. I ended up going to a local cafe with free internet and was more productive than I've been in weeks. Maybe it was Jersey. Maybe it was the new mix I made to drive in my mom's car to. Maybe it's because I'm running out of time. But it's finally kicked in and I'm in my groove.

Let's hope this lasts until next Monday.

DOWNLOAD:

  • Editors - Lights
  • The Knife - Heartbeats
  • Shout Out Louds- Please Please Please
  • Aberdeen City - Sixty Lives
  • The Strokes - Heartbeats
  • Wolf Parade - Grounds For Divorce
  • Nightmare of You - Dear Scene, I Wish I Were Deaf
  • The Long Winters - Blue Diamonds
  • The Spinto Band - Crack The Whip
  • The White Stripes - Walking With A Ghost
  • Bishop Allen - Things Are What You Make of Them

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online