Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Birdmonster - No Midnight



I waited until today to post a full report on Birdmonster's album. I would have felt bad that I have had the chance to listen to it over and over and over and over and over again, before you were given a chance. Be jealous, because it's one of my favorite albums of the year.

Today, the album is finally available and I'm excited to get my copy in the mail (even if it is accompanied with some strange diseases). It has been a pleasure to watch (er read) about their recording process. But it has been even more a pleasure to listen to the final product.

No Midnight is one of those albums that you listen to, and it can tell the future. All of these songs are self-contained rock gems that you know these guys just have more up their sleeves. Songs like "The Bar in the Back of the Basement" and the new version of "All The Holes In The Walls" capture this manic energy I was able to witness when I saw them live. Peter's voice is one of the better voices in this indie-rock genre, a wail here and a screech here and there. Every time I listen to the album, I find a new favorite moment or song. Right now it's the album's title track "No Midnight," a song that slows down the pace and lets these young boy's musicianship shine. But "Cause You Can" will always be my #1 pick to go crazy listening to. And if you aren't sure of anything, just take a listen to the last minute of "Spaceman," the track that closes out the album. All expectations are thrown happily out the window.

It's a rock and roll album, with a tang of county (gotta love those banjos) all packaged together in a cohesive debut effort. Each time I listen to it, I'm more impressed. They've strayed away from the early comparisons of Modest Mouse to show that they can make music that feels both contemporary and classic, and most definitely alive.


  • Birdmonster - Ice Age
  • Birdmonster - Spaceman

    No longer a presale, buy No Midnight here or on iTunes.
    Read their hilarious blog here.
    Be their myspace friend here.

    P.S. - A little "bird" told me they are coming to NYC this summer. Ooh baby.

  • blogger templates | Make Money Online