Thursday, March 30, 2006

Last night was a continuation in the Rachael should stop going out and get some sleep mindset that has invaded my schedule. For sometime yesterday I toyed with the idea of a relaxing date with America's Next Top Model and Lost instead of my date with two out of town bands. But no, music trumps television. Thank god for DVR.

IMG_4506.JPG

So I started out at Mercury lounge (after watching Top Model, thank GOD that Gina is out PS). Jerry and I took in a set by Austin's What Made Milwaukee Famous (or MILF as Jerry calls them). After a huge recommendation from Nikki, I was expecting fireworks. There are a lot of elements that could have been the cause of my dissapointment, but overall it was good. Just not great. It's definitely an interesting sound, straight forward indie rock mixed with Ninentendo like sound effects and then a little bit of twang. For me, it just lacked a consistency. I wasn't sure exactly what they were doing. Half way through the set they played my favorite "Hellodrama" and it sounded superb (lead singer has a phenomenal voice, even in spite of his said larigintis). But then I was lost a little for the remainder. It could have been that I was just tired. I still found them pleasing enough that I'd check them out next time around.

IMG_4517.JPG

I put my yawns aside because I was so stoked to finally see the DC boys, The Hard Tomorrows play for the first time. It's been ages since they played in NYC, so I had to go show my support, since I've been a fan of their recordings for about a year now. So how did they fair out live? Beyond my expectations. And that's saying a lot.

As soon as they played "Put Yourself Out" (second song, mind you) I was sold. And then it just kept getting better. The Hard Tomorrows have this sort of curse upon them (read about it in the next issue of the mag) so it seems as though something always goes wrong. Last night was no different, with strings breaking all over the place, but it still wound up well. "Glassy Eyed Sweetheart" was my favorite point at the night. The song is great on recording (I DJ it every week, so you can come dance on Tuesday) but hearing Rob screetch out those vocals brought it to a whole new level.

Check out Rob performing next Saturday at Rockwood Music Hall. The Hard Tomorrow's will be back at Arlenes on April 15.

(I then went home and instead of getting the much needed sleep, I watched Lost. I couldn't wait a whole day. Poor Henry Gale, the fake one of course. Even if he is an other, I still like him. And what was with that black light diagram? They are toying with us now. Stop it!)

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online