Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Sleeping Pill (What To Do The Morning After) | Sure Juror


My childhood home #6 was officially sold today, which makes me a bit nostalgic for Jersey. Bet you never thought anyone would say that last part seriously, but Jersey is fine by me. No jokes, please. I'm quite vulnerable right now. So lucky me to find a great Jersey band to post about. If the lead singer was British instead of Welsh, you'd have me!

But this is not about me. This is about Sure Juror whose debut album has gone through quite a journey and somehow has landed in my two hands. I waited to post about this album, because it's one you want to listen to many times and digest completely. While it may sound pretty lo-fi, it's intricately polished music. There's beauty in chaos, people. You will find it in Sure Juror.

I like bands that intrigue me, when I don't really get everything at first. If it's all out there for you right at the beginning, then chances are you won't keep listening. That happened with Tapes 'n Tapes for me, and this is another one to scratch your head over, until you reach that point where you realize this is quite fun, in a crazy sort of way.

But some songs are much more comprehensible than others - which keeps the trip of listening to the album a bit easier. Lyrically, it's extremely clever from a young band, with some interesting and poetic lines above some of the madness. This dichotomy is apparent in my favorite track, "Sleeping Pill (What To Do The Morning After)" is as punk inspired, as it is indie pop. At the same time. The opening vocals sound quite bizarre, but then they infuse these sweet melodies that keep you on your toes.

I've said it before, but this time I actually really mean it. Each song is completely different, perfectly exemplified by the two I will post down below. "The Drive Will Do You Good" is sweet and catchy, but a far cry from the madness on the other tracks. This can be hard for those who are all about "concept albums" and "themes." I could care less either way, if it's good, it's good.

Sure Juror is currently recording new material and I am intrigued to hear the direction they have decided to go. The currently titled Smut should be ready soon. Can't wait.

  • Sure Juror - Sleeping Pill (What To Do The Morning After)
  • Sure Juror - The Drive Will Do You Good

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online