Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Don't you wonder where I hide?

As much as I love New York, last night was a pain in my arse. First I was faced with a non-existant guest list for the Five O'Clock Heroes which left many people out in the cold. Luckily Karen was there, and tried her best to get everyone in, including herself. I had to leave my friend Joe and Karen had to leave her boss. The show was sold-out (no surprise) and seemed like everyone wanted to get inside to see a little bit of The Subways magic.

So I made my way in and caught most of Five O'Clock Heroes set from the back of the packed venue. Their latest UK tour seems to have done them well. Their songs sounded much tighter and energy was at an all-time high. They even unveiled a couple songs I hadn't heard of yet. Someone sign these guys so we can get an album, please? They ended their set with their latest single "White Girls." I hadn't loved it the first time, but it definitely is growing on me.

Five O'Clock Heroes @ Rothko

I found Nora and Jerry (bloggers are everywhere, jeez). I had to get up front for The Subways and relive the show this summer. I was pumped. I was ready. I was without drink (serious lack of funds) but that was okay. It was time to get rowdy.

The Subways @ Rothko

So when Billy, Charlotte, and Josh took the stage (sporting much shorter hair that the last time I saw them, sans Josh) and opened up with "With You" I was expecting anarchy. If you've listened to The Subways, or had the chance to see them live, you know that it's intense. All these people had packed Rothko, taken over the Five O'Clock Heroes guest list, and for what? To stand there. Motionless. And ruin my good time.

I couldn't believe the crowd. New York is notorious for having stuck-up attendees but I still don't understand why people go to shows and won't enjoy themselves. Billy and Charlotte tried to get the crowd going, clapping their hands and singing into the crowd, but besides the 5 people in my immediate vicinity, no reaction. It doesn't matter if you don't have their album. You obviously saw them on The OC. You obviously heard some buzz. Well, great. Bob your head a little, loosen up. It's a rock show, for gods sake.

The Subways @ Rothko

I did get the guitar pick that Billy spit out of his mouth when he climbed up on the side of the stage. That was pretty, well, awesome.

The crowd made a huge exodus after The Subways, but luckily some fresh blood came in for The Picture. It was my first time seeing these guys and they put on a great set. They opened with my two favorites, "Sell Out" and "Blind Side," and the rest of the tunes were equally as memorable. I will have to pick up this CD once I get paid.

The Picture @ Rothko

I caught up with Five O'Clock Heroes frontman Antony Ellis after the show to catch up. The last I saw them was months ago when I interviewed them for the cover of Underrated. I shared my frustrations of the past two months, and my disappointment when I couldn't get them to hold to doing a show for me. I've learned it's impossible to be angry at someone like Ellis. He's got the charming accent, that cheeky smile, and apologizes in a way you don't remember why you were mad in the first place. Don't worry, I still love the band, and yes, they will play an Underrated show very very soon.

On my way home I lost my Metro Card, had to make 6 changes because of the stupid Q train, and got home 4 hours before I was to wake up this morning. Here's to hoping The Subways' show at North Six tonight has a better crowd. Or I may just move to London.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online