Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005: Twas Quite The Year

I don't usually post on the weekends, but I figured I needed to say a little thank you to all of you dedicated readers for a great 2005. Plus, I'm sure you are just itching to find out about the Spin Doctors show last night.

I hadn't been to Hammerstein in a long time (we're talking years) and despite the absurdly priced drinks, it's a good venue. My friend Joe interviewed Chris Barron (lead singer) a couple weeks ago for the publication he writes for, so he hooked us up with spots on the guest list. Turns out the Spin Doctors were opening for The Disco Biscuits, a stoner friendly dance band. It had been a while since I'd been at a concert surrounded by that nostalgic smell.

So The Spin Doctors put on a fun set, very reminiscent of their early tunes. The lead singer had some interesting dance moves -- everything from sidekicking, pointing fingers, and punching the microphones. And yes, they played "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong," "Pocket Full of Kryptonite" and ended it all off with "Two Princes." The Spin Doctors Pocket Full of Kryptonite was one of the first albums I ever purchased. Who would have thought that over 10 years later I'd be seeing them perform those songs live.

We stuck around to check out the Disco Biscuits as the young stoners piled in, joints and dancing shoes intact. The music started and the crowd went nuts. Spastic dance moves and clouds of smoke filled up Hammerstein. I couldn't help but smile (either from inhaling what was around me or watching the crowd). Before I left for the holiday break, I was so sick of the crowds in New York. They are just far too pretentious. But last night at the Disco show you had the nicest, least pretentious people all there to have a good time with their favorite band. And they danced, my god, did they dance.

After the show, I debated heading downtown to meet up with some friends at Orchard Bar, but instead decided I should just call it a night. I had the Time Out New York that I picked up earlier in my apartment with our always talk-worthy Brooklynites Clap Your Hands Say Yeah on the cover.

I must say it was a very well-written article that reminded me why I really liked this band in the first place. I can remember reading on Nora's blog (who got a nice mention in the article as well) about the band and downloaded the tracks. It was something I really hadn't heard before. Sure, it was reminiscent of 80's bands like the Talking Heads, but there was something new about it. And when I went to their album release party and saw them live, there was something there. I just didn't know how big it was going to be, at the time.

With all the hype and buzz surrounding the band, it's easy to write them off and it's easy to not remember what a remarkable year they have had. I'm happy I read that article, because this band is making history. Like the music or not, a few years from now you'll remember that 2005 was the year Clap Your Hands Say Yeah took on the world, without a record label. And that, my friends, is something to be extremely proud of.

2005 was the year I decided that I really love what I do. I can't leave New York (unless I go to London), I can't stop going to see bands play, or meeting them, or writing about them. The first half of this year I had decided that I would shoot for 8 or 10 issues of the magazine and start a real life. But I got myself into this mess, so I might as well just stay there. I'll make it work somehow.

Thank you to all the bands, friends, bloggers, readers, and bartenders that made 2005 the best year thus far in my young life. I couldn't have stumbled home with a song in my head and a grin on my face without you.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online