Tuesday, January 3, 2006

Dust In The Sunlight

If there was one way to sum up 2005, it was a slew of bad luck. It seemed like for most of the year, I battled the most ridiculous situations that just kept on happening to me. I'm never one to let anything get me down, but it seemed appropriate that on the last day of the year, I would walk to my mother's car that I had parked in Brooklyn over night to find the back window smashed in. The inside was a mess. They spilled my diet coke, rummaged through my mom's files and glove compartment. After I observed the situation and called the cops, I realized that nothing was missing. Strange. It wasn't until I was driving home that I realized my CD case had been taken. Of all things, these robbers wanted my mixes. At least they had good taste.

After that mess, I was ready for a very low-key New Years celebration. Just a couple friends, a couple bottles of wine and a pack of cards was heaven to me. I even had a friend read me bedtime stories, one about a giraffe that couldn't dance. Don't worry, he found his song in the end and wowed the jungle. See you later 2005.

So first post of the new year is a lot of pressure, especially when you haven't gone out or have anything to report. I was thinking last night, in-between my Lost Season 1 marathon, that there is an equal amount of bands that I like from the US and the UK. I love my hometown local New York bands, but there must be something in the water over the pond that is producing these killer acts. Last year I fell in love with Maximo Park, Tom Vek, and The Subways, to name a few.

This year, it's going to be all about Editors, Arctic Monkeys and Art Brut, to name a few.

Editors

Editors took forever and a day to make their first US trip, but this month they'll take on all the skeptics and blow them away. I had the pleasure of catching them this summer in Ireland and within seconds I was sold.

"Fingers in the Factories" is one of the most interesting tracks off their debut album, The Back Room. It pulsates with an eerie darkness that almost makes you shudder. But at the same time, it's completely beautiful. Take Your Medicine posted a live version of the track in his Top 20 Tracks of the Year. It's done completely acoustic, and I can't stop listening to it.

  • Editors - Fingers in the Factories (live)

    Editors play Mercury Lounge January 20 and Brooklyn Vegan reports that their second show will be at the debut of TISWAS +1 at new LES venue The Annex on January 21.

    Jerry Yeti posted some Editors B-Sides before the end of the year. My favorite B-Side is "You Are Fading" which is off Cuttings. It duly showcases the vocal capacity of the lead singer, and puts to shame any Interpol comparisons (nothing against Interpol). Again, this song pulsates you from beginning to end, and is one of those tunes where you should have a thought bubble pop out of your head, because for some reason, it really makes you think. And there's nothing wrong with that.

  • Editors - You Are Fading

    And another B-Side that I love. That guitar riff. Shista.

  • Editors - Dust In The Sunlight

    And the song that will cause everyone's head to explode in Mercury Lounge (or just Nora's) and where you can be assured I'll be dancing like an idiot (or like that Giraffe). "Munich" was the first song I ever heard by Editors, and what a good one for a first impression. Try standing still.

  • Editors - Munich

    Can we keep Editors here in NYC when they come? I've got rope somewhere.

  • 2 Comments:

    apad 2 said...

    I fully match with whatever thing you have written.

    muebles en cadiz said...

    Oh my god, there's so much worthwhile information here!

    blogger templates | Make Money Online