Monday, January 23, 2006

The Bomb Inside The Bomb | We Are Scientists

I think I slept about 10 hours this entire weekend and that was the only time I was basically in my apartment. I was chasing after bands most of the weekend....my definition of a good time.

We Are Scientists @ Maxwells

Let's start with Friday and my day with We Are Scientists. I guess I can tell you know that you will see these boys grace the cover of the next issue of Underrated Magazine, out in March. After an early wakeup and French class I met the guys outside the Virgin offices and we hopped in a car (paid for by the label, not bad) to Williamsburg for the photo shoot.

To say I was a bit nervous is an understatement. I had about 10 cups of coffee in my system and a huge crush on the lead singer, which doesn't make for a good combination. Keith and Chris hopped in the car, and I followed. Their rep from Virgin apparently was tagging along too. We drove through the city making small talk (well mostly them) and I already felt awkward. I wasn't sure whether to start my interview right then and there, since we only had an hour once we got to Williamsburg. I opted not to, instead feeling like a 13-year-old girl on a date with mom and dad in the front of the car. Luckily enough, the car ride was quick and before I knew it I was walking up the four flights of stairs to Syd's apartment with the boys.

If you've seen the cover of their album, you know they like cats. Syd happened to have an adorable little kitten that took up the scientists' attention most of the time. I thought they were going to steal it and take it home at one point. It was a cute kitty.

So to try and make a long story short, we had an hour to do the photos and interview so it was an experiment in multi-tasking. It didn't make for the best interview and I left Syd's feeling very odd about the whole situation. I used to hate doing interviews, but I'd like to think I"ve gotten a little bit better in my time. I'm much more comfortable that I used to be, but this just wasn't effective. They like to joke around which is all good and fun, but my journalistic duty is to get some answers. It also didn't help that their label rep was listening in and my whole line of questioning was about the decision to sign with Virgin. Awkward.

But I did get your questions answered, like I promised.

Underrated:: If you had to play one of your songs for the rest of your career, what would it be?
We Are Scientists: Commit suicide? What? It would be a 45-minute mega track, leading all the tracks into each other.

UR: How many sweater vests do you own?
WAS: None. We don't even know what you are talking about. They make sweater vests now?

UR: If you could introduce one random instrument into the band, what would it be?
WAS: A slightly higher pitch snare, like a half step tighter and explore that element. We'd like to be creative by handicapping ourselves, see where that takes us.

UR: Why do you think some bands wear eyeliner?
WAS: It's pretty bright on stage. I thought it was that baseball thing to block out the glare. We opt to go the sunglass route. You really have to do one or the other.

UR: Will you ever play The Tank again?
WAS: We are currently unclear of the status of the venue and part of that is willful ignorance.

UR: Whats your favorite venue or city that you have played?
WAS: We liked a lot, we have a lot of number ones. What's your demographic? Oh yeah, definitely New York. Definitely The Tank - for that person. But Amsterdam was pretty amazing and Germany was great. The crowd showed up ready to dance even though they didn't know any of our songs.

UR: What other bands or artists are you listening to right now?
WAS: A lot of Oxford Collapse. Seems like every night we put them on.

UR: How many aliens have you had illegitimate children with?
WAS: We've never fathered any but we have taken in those that were asexually born. We actually run a house for them and make a mean profit off of slave trace. They are deeply humanoid.

Read the real story and interview with the band in the next issue of Underrated Magazine.


So after probably the worst interview I've ever conducted, I hung around Williamsburg before going back into the city to meet a friend for dinner. Then it was off to Hoboken for the WAS show. I was already exhausted, but wouldn't pass up the chance to see these guys again. I was dreading the trek out to Jersey, but once I bought my $4 rum and coke and realized I could smoke indoors (not for long) I was loving Maxwells hard core.

I found Keith before the show and we both agreed that the interview wasn't our best work. It was nice to know that it wasn't all my fault. Susan and I, along with Kathryn made our way to the front of the awfully small venue. Apparently a memo went out to all the kids with big hair to be up front as well. Bravo to them for hindering sight for the rest of the crowd.

The show started off stupendously. There was the usual: Keith's irresistible grins, Chris's fun banter, and Michael's impressive drumming. I loved every second of being so close and singing so loud. I even had crazy girl behind me that may have gotten a bit too into it. After throwing pieces of paper at the band, she found it a good idea to get up on stage and dance with them. It was fun for laughs and security then took her down. I sorta wish they could have kicked her out because she really pissed me off for the rest of the show. This girl turned out to be certifiable.

We Are Scientists @ Maxwells

They covered "Be My Baby" again, but this time with their friends in Oxford Collapse. They were half way through "Inaction" when everyone started smelling smoke, but not of the nicotine type. What happened next may shock some and is the result of when a top-notch bands rocks just a little too hard. WAS are so intense that they blew up one of their speakers. We were all witness to a slight electrical fire. The band was confused. We enjoyed a little rock star moment. But it was kinda sad when we all had to evacuate the venue. Show was over, folks.

But as I said to Keith, it'll make a good end for the story.

We Are Scientists @ Maxwells

  • We Are Scientists - The Bomb Inside The Bomb

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online