Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Don't Forget To Dance | The Kinks

I decided to stay in tonight, rather than head to Fat Baby to see Ari of The Upwelling perform solo. He's got a residency for the month of January so I have two more weeks to check him out. On my way home from work I was feeling tired and frustrated, so I looked to my dear iPod to make me feel better. Instead of clicking on a specific artist or playlist, I just pressed play and let Mr. iPod decide what I should listen to. "Don't Forget To Dance" by The Kinks came on and everything immediately felt okay.

I get so caught up with listening to all the wonderful new music I'm consistently exposed to that sometimes I forget the bands I grew up loving. The Kinks were one of my first discoveries and I've kept them close to my heart since. They were, hands down, the most underrated band of their generation, constantly in The Beatles’ shadow, but constantly creating great music that defined the times. There are so many great songs that this band wrote, each one it's own personality and discovery.

So let's put the latest buzz bands of the day on hold for a second. Sit back, relax, grab a drink and wander off to a place other than here for a little while.

  • The Kinks - (Don't) Forget To Dance
  • The Kinks - You Really Got Me
  • The Kinks - Lola
  • The Kinks - Death Of A Clown
  • The Kinks - Set Me Free
  • The Kinks - Victoria
  • The Kinks - Everybody's Gonna Be Happy
  • The Kinks - All Day And All Of The Night

  • 1 Comment:

    Alistair Fitchett said...

    Just came across this post whilst doing some searching on this song. You are spot on about it, and The Kinks in general. The 1970s and 1980s era Kinks is a story seldom mentioned in the UK at least, and that's a shame for there are so many great songs from that period. I just used 'don't forget to dance' as the title to my new fanzine - first paper fanzine in many, many years! Check out my blog if you have time / inclination! http://unpopular.typepad.com/unpopular/

    I'm going to have a browse in the rest of your blog now!

    blogger templates | Make Money Online