Saturday, January 28, 2006

Underrated turns TWO! with a little help from some friends...

Warning: The following post will contain over exaggerated emotions, clichés, and my unending love for a certain three bands.

I thought I should throw that out there.

I went to sleep this morning at about 6 AM with a huge grin on my face. Despite all the politics and disappointment that can occur when you try and do something you love, it's nights like last night that make it all worthwhile. I had my usual anxious/nervousness when I arrived at Crash Mansion last night. The entire night rested on my shoulders, and there I was blowing up balloons and taping them to the walls. I found that a necessary part in the overall formula in a successful show. Perhaps it worked.

People came. The last show was a great turnout; this one surpassed my wildest dreams. I had conversations about music, about the magazine, about my still pending cold. Hugs, kisses, dancing, and drinks. Thank god for open bars.

The Headset @ Crash Mansion

The Head Set played one of the best sets I've seen in a long time. While everyone wanted to point out the Strokes comparison, but its shows last night that put the comparisons in the backseat, for me. Every song was one-up on the one that preceded it. These guys were polished enough to let the budding excitement of the crowd let them run wild. It was hot, sweaty, and everything you want in a band. I think 2006 will be the year everyone starts to really take notice of The Head Set. It'll be glorious. And let me add, this band is the nicest ever.

I'll be honest and admit that some of my friends think it's humorous that I keep making A Brief Smile play my shows. I can't help it. It wouldn't be an Underrated show without them, and dammit I'll be honest and admit that I really like this band. Okay, I guess it wasn't that much of a secret after all.

A Brief Smile @ Crash Mansion

I had an in-depth conversation with someone before the night began and I was explaining what a trip it's been for me to watch the development of the magazine over the past two years, and the development of the bands I've featured. I'm just beginning to see it now, and A Brief Smile is a perfect example. I'll always think that maybe this time I wont be as impressed as the last, but no. They step it up one notch each time. I'm so happy people are starting to notice this band, because they deserve it all. It was funny to see others sing along to each song. I knew I couldn't be the only one.

P.S. - "Kitchen Floor" is my new favorite song and these guys need to get me their new EP like now.

Did you ever see that show years back called She's Out of this World (not to be confused with the Tony Danza film She's Out of Control which is equally as fantastic)? Well anyways, the character Eve (I can't believe I remember this) could pause time (kind of like the Zach Morris time-out). I wanted to keep doing that all night. I just wanted to pause everything and savor it, but we're all not part of 80's pop culture TV.

I can't believe I just wrote that paragraph.

Moving on, it was time for the last but hardly not least band, my cover boys The Five O'Clock Heroes. I told them to take their time setting up, as I had to run outside for a quick smoke, grab a drink from the bar, and be able to make it to the front before they started to play. They did their best, but I was at the bar when I heard their first notes play. I began to get a bit impatient (to say the least). But I did what I had to do, and I was up front and center staring into Antony's eyes like the little fan I am in no time.

Five O'Clock Heroes @ Crash Mansion

There's certain bands that you know you are going to have fun watching. Forget how musically superior they are to last year's sensation, when you get a band that can play good, catchy, songs and make the crowd move - that's my idea of a good time. The Five O'Clock Heroes do that stupendously.

I danced, I sang, and I swooned a little bit (if we're going to be completely honest - have you seen these boys move on stage?) And then all of a sudden they were playing "White Girls" and then it was all over. I wanted to scream "nooo" but instead managed an "encore" however even though I planned the night, I really didn't have much say in anything at all. I considered asking all the bands to go up there and play one more song for me, because I was on cloud nine and didn't want to get off of it.

But people get tired, I suppose. What's that about?

I did the chatting thing, and found my passed out friends. However the night was hardly over, as we trekked through the Lower East Side, stopping for a bite to eat before heading to Orchard Bar.

Underrated Magazine turns TWO!
My favorite picture of the night.

Orchard Bar was a mess of the usual crazy people out on a Friday night. I said a quick hello to Karen and Sarah and danced a bit amongst the crowd. But my gin & tonic went fast, and my friend's eyes were quickly shutting. So I bid a bon voyage to The Five O'Clock Heroes as they head back to the UK for a tour. I think I'll miss them.

So it's been two years, and that's a little bit crazy. I still haven't really wrapped my head around what goes on in my life, but I'm enjoying it too much to question it.

Happy Birthday Underrated. Here's to many more to come.

Thanks to the bands, Crash Mansion, New York Underbelly, and everyone who came. It was ridiculously awesome (that's my last over exaggeration for this post).

If you were there, let me know if you had as much fun as I did. And if you have any pictures, please send them my way.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my black music lyrics site.
Have a great week!

blogger templates | Make Money Online