Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Rise Up With Fists | Jenny Lewis

I've been listening to the new Jenny Lewis’ solo album, Rabbit Fur Coat for about a week now, but this morning it got the coveted morning en route to school/work slot. I'm very picky when it comes to the first thing I listen that day, because it will set the mood and tone for the entire day. But Jenny Lewis can do no wrong in my book, and today felt like a Jenny Lewis sort of day.

If I could trade places with anyone in the world I would choose Miss Jenny Lewis. She is hands down the coolest woman ever. I would have traded places with her when she was in Troop Beverly Hills (a classic flick of my childhood)and now as front-woman to the fabulouso Rilo Kiley.

So when everyone said that Rabbit Fur Coat was disappointing, I stood by my gal. I couldn't foresee any complications from the talented scribe. Perhaps I'm a simpleton at heart, but Lewis' lyrics just hit me exactly where I need them to. Her honesty, mixed with her melancholy sweetness is perhaps what makes her so accessible. And even if she picks up on a bit of a country twang, alongside The Watson Twins, it's still equally as impressive as anything she has completed through Rilo Kiley.

I still am partial to "Rise Up With Fists" for the mere line of: "Are you really that pure, sir, thought I saw you in Vegas. It was not pretty, but she was." That's what I love about Lewis -- that unexpected end of a line, the unapologetic lack of preaching. She does it again in "The Charging Sky": "What if God's not there? But his name is on your dollar bill. Which just became cab fare." I love it.

You can download the entire album for free from Mr. Conor Oberst's Team Love label here. And then you can buy it here, too.

Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins Tour Dates:

February | 2006
02 Los Angeles, CA Vista Theater
03 San Francisco, CA Swedish American Hall
05 New York, NY Angel Orensanz Foundation

March | 2006
04 San Francisco, CA Bimbo's 365 Club
06 Portland, OR Aladdin Theatre
07 Vancouver, BC Richards on Richards
08 Seattle, WA Neumo's
10 Denver, CO Bluebird Theatre
11 Omaha, NE Scottish Rites Hall
12 Minneapolis, MN Woman's Club
13 Milwaukee, MI Pabst Theatre
14 Chicago, IL Park West
15 Grand Rapids, MI Calvin College
16 Toronto, ONT Opera House
17 Cambridge, MA Somerville Theatre
18 New York, NY Irving Plaza (ahem, someone buy me tickets, ahem)
20 Philadelphia, PA Sanctuary @ First Unitarian Church
23 Alexandria, VA The Birchmere
24 Carrboro, NC Cats Cradle
25 Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse
26 Nashville, TN Belcourt Theatre
28 Austin, TX The Parish
29 Dallas, TX Dallas Museum of Art - Horchow Audtorium

April | 2006
01 Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre

  • Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins - Rise Up With Fists
  • Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins - Changing Sky
  • Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins - Melt Your Heart

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online