Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Cherries In The Snow | Elk City

I love putting my iTunes on random. Any sort of randomness in life is always entertained by me. So when I couldn't sleep last night due to a pounding headache and remorse for not going to the Hard-Fi show at Bowery, I let my loyal iTunes lead the way to happiness. What came up? Elk City - a band I have no idea how it ended up on my computer, but I am pretty glad it did.

After a bit of research, I learned that Elk City is a local New York/New Jersey band whose third album, New Believers is the result of lead singer Renée LoBue "flaming breakup." But don't think this is any downer. This gal apparently is out to cause some indie-rock loving goodness from whatever bad happened to her. I like it. And they've got some fabulous contributors on the new album, including members of another local band The Mendoza Line.

Of the tracks I've heard, it sounds promising. "Cherries In The Snow" is immediately inviting, and at first I thought this was some Christmas song that got lost in the crowd. But no, listen to the lyrics. This gal definitely wears her heart on her sleeve, even more so apparent in "Once and For All," which is a little less quirky rock, a little more folk.

The band plays Mo-Pitkins on January 27 at midnight. Unfortunately, you won't be able to go. You have other plans.

  • Elk City - Cherries In The Snow
  • Elk City - Once and For All

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online