Friday, January 27, 2006

A Year Of Doubt | Maximo Park

I'm a true believer that music can alter your emotions. One of my roommates many moons ago was studying psychology and she did a research project on using music to help children with different types of disorders. I, fortunately, do not have any disorders that I am aware of, but still use music to keep me going through the day.

After yesterday's shenanigans, I was in need of a new CD to lift my spirits. Luckily in the mail that day, I received the new album Missing Songs by the wonderful Maximo Park. The album is all the B-Sides that didn't make the cut on their debut. It's always interesting to me to learn about the process and procedures of making an album that seems complete. But I think I'm more interested it what isn't chosen. It shows a sort of hidden side to a band that you think you know so well. There's always intrigue in the mysterious.

Missing Songs also includes demos of some of their hits such as "Graffiti" and "Once, A Glimpse." It's cool to hear the polished band stripped down. The album lacks in the quirkiness that is what makes Maximo superb, but for big fans, it's a great album to explore what makes up their unique sound.

You can purchase Missing Songs here. And watch the super cool video for the insatiably catchy "Apply Some Pressure" here.

  • Maximo Park - A Year Of Doubt
  • Maximo Park - Stray Talk
  • Maximo Park - Once, A Glimpse (Original Demo)

    AND don't forget!

    TONIGHT - Underrated Magazine Turns TWO! at Crash Mansion.

    Doors open at 9 PM, open bar from 9-10.

    The Head Set takes the stage at 10, followed by A Brief Smile and The Five O'Clock Heroes.

    Crash Mansion is located 199 Bowery between Spring St. and Rivington. Take the 6 train to Spring St, the J/M/Z trains to Bowery, or the F to 2nd Ave.

    We'll see you there!

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online