Friday, January 13, 2006

More Cowbell x 3 | Tapes 'n Tapes

I had to do it. I had to see Tapes 'n Tapes one last time. I went 3 for 4 and part of me wishes I had made it to the Piano's show. I can't remember a time where I have been so taken by a band. I kinda like it.

So after running into Jerry on the C train, we headed over to Rothko for the Productshop party, keeping a close eye on our watches in order to get to Bowery on time. It was pretty empty when we first got there, but within 10 minutes, the place was packed. Sam Champion took the stage first for an extremely tight and rocking set. I caught these guys during CMJ and had a blast, but they seemed extremely polished last night. In between rocking, I found myself wanting to throw my hair straightner out the window and let my hair run wild. They really pull of that whole fro look so well.

Tapes 'n Tapes @ Rothko

Tapes 'n Tapes get better with time. I can only imagine how psyched I am next time they come to New York. Each show has gotten better, and each song more memorable. It's an absolute pleasure to watch these guys on stage. I even gasped when keyboard/tuba/all-around-guy Matt fell over while rocking out to "10 Gallon Ascots." But no fear, he was okay. However lead singer Josh's foot was maimed, and I do know that my favorite little drummer shed blood. These guys don't mess around.

I got to hear "Omaha" for the first time, and frankly I found it to be the low point of the set. I don't understand why crowd members were insisting on hearing it. It's a nice song, sure, but hardly their best. Perhaps it's just the most accessible of the eclectic album, but it didn't do anything for me live.

I'm honestly sad to see these boys go. What a week it was and I'm thrilled to have gotten the chance to see them and meet them. It's nice to find a band that you just want the best for, because they deserve it all. They better come back to NYC soon and this time do seven shows in seven days. I'll be there for them all.

  • Tapes 'n Tapes - 10 Gallon Ascots

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online