Tuesday, January 10, 2006

More Cowbell x 2 | Tapes 'n Tapes

Blah. If there's one word to explain my mood lately it's blah. Nothing seems to be going right and I have everyone and their mother telling me why not. Even an early evening Rufus Wainwright sighting with Wes and checking out three new bands didn't do it for me. I know we just had the holiday break, but I could use another vacation.

But if there's anything that's put a smile on my face these past days, it's the wonderful boys of Tapes 'n Tapes. Saturday at Delancey was just the beginning. Since then, I haven't been able to listen to anything else. And last night at Mercury Lounge sealed the deal. I'm officially obsessed.

I caught up with the boys before the show last night, and it was obvious that they were on a rush. They are as shocked as anyone with the surge of interest around the band. It was refreshing, talking to these Minnesotans. All the New York bands I've interviewed have been great, but have that egotism imbedded in their words. Not these guys. They couldn't have been more humble and nice.

I can tell you now that there are no plans for a new album (The Loon just came out in November, give them a chance), they love reading music blogs (to which they amount all their success to) and their van Bruno broke down and they spent much of their weekend in New York at Pep Boys (to which they loathe). Look for that interview in the next issue of Underrated, out in March.

Tapes 'n Tapes @ Mercury

The show was a definite one-up on Saturday at the Delancey. Again, I was front and center, and again, the bloggers were out in full force. But the crowd at Mercury was fantastic. They screamed the opening lines of "Beach Girls" throughout the set, and they danced (well moved and swayed) along. The band's energy was at a surprising all-time high, which is remarkable for the third night in a row. What makes the band effective is that they are a hodgepodge of eclectic music that matches their stage show. They can rock, they can dance around like idiots, they can slow it down and jam it out.

Setlist: Beach Girls (MP3)/Cowbell (MP3)/Illiad/Insistor (MP3)/Buckle/10 Gallon/Crazy 8's/Icebergs (MP3)/Manitoba/Just Drums/Jakov's Suite

I did my usual "I'm obsessed with you" routine after the show, which luckily didn't scare off the band (too much). But in all seriousness, this band is off to an incredible start that I think will only get better with time. I urge anyone who isn't initially taken by them to stick with it. Keep listening to the songs, go see them live (they play NYC again on Thursday), and it'll click. And when it does, you'll absolutely love it.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online