Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Mr. Murphy | The Undisputed Heavyweights

Sunday I took three buses (thanks L train) and walked in the rain, all for the love of The Undisputed Heavyweights. Why you ask? Haven't I seen them before? Well yes. But that's not the point.

You see, dear blog reader, there are certain things that get better every time. Music, is one of them. (You can come up with your own list for the others.) Of course there is that special something about the first time you see a band. My first Heavyweight's experience I was dedicated a song and told to "Damn the Man" after being fired from my job. That was up there. But the third time may have been the charm, because Sunday's show was top-notch pour moi.

The Undisputed Heavyweights @ Galapagos

Sunday's show was part of Kitchen Sink Music's monthly shows at Galapagos. It was running late, so I sat through some interestingly bizarre recorder quartet from Germany. But when the Heavyweights took the stage, they owned the night. And I think I was smiling from ear to ear the entire time. Not only does this band execute uniquely beautiful music well, their on stage personas is icing on the cake. As soon as lead singer Casey Shea puts on those sunglasses and tousles his hair, I know I'm in for a crazy night.

My new favorite Heavyweights song is "Mr. Murphy" (okay tied with "Money," which they opened with at Sunday's show). Wes was nice enough to send me an exclusive live version of the song from Arlene's Grocery, which I was at as well.

Undisputed Heavyweights Upcoming Shows:
2.16 - Southpaw 9pm (full band) w/ C. Gibbs, M Shanghai String Band & Jones St Boys
2.24 - Pianos 10pm (full band) w/ Townhall

  • The Undisputed Heavyweights - Mr. Murphy

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online