Friday, December 16, 2005

Underrated's Best of The Rest (Part II)

This post is dedicated to Matt who told me last night it was a toss up as to what was better: winning a Grammy or getting on my top songs of the year. And just so you, and he knows, they were on my list before he told me that.

Okay, here's some more terrible explanations and fantastic songs that I have enjoyed in the 2005. Remember to support these artists, because I love them, and you can love them too.

  • The GoStation - C'Mon
    They graced the cover of Issue 6, they sang me Happy Birthday when I turned 21, and they have provided me with countless memorable shows this year. The GoStation is bound to be back and better than ever next year, but the Quiet Zone EP and being the talk of the town made this year a big one. "C'Mon" is hands down my favorite track from the EP, a britpop fused ditty that is meant to be played in larger venues. Sorry Liz, I know you love "Wandering Away" (and granted, we will always drunken dance/singalong to that one) but "C'Mon" is where The GoStation is going. Watch out.

  • The Bravery - Honest Mistake
    Love them or hate them, you can't really steer clear of The Bravery. No one in NYC ever imagined that they would amount to the success they have, but that's the UK for you. Regardless, "Honest Mistake" is a pretty catchy tune. I'm not one to voluntarily play it on a regular occurrence but if I'm out, and I'm drunk, and it plays...I'm thankful. That's right. I said it.

  • Devin Davis - Iron Woman
    I kept putting this song on every mix I made for this year. It's funny, it recalls “Summer of 69” by Bryan Adams, but without all the cheese that has formulated on that song since it's debut. It's super fun to sing along to on a hot summers day when you are driving your car with the windows down. Too bad I don't have a car. And too bad it's not summer anymore. But I can listen to this song and pretend.

  • Surefire - Love's On The Inside
    I will listen to every band in NYC, without a doubt. Some are good; others are interesting to say the least. Surefire is good. This song has a great opening and keeps you swaying throughout the song with the pounding drum line. Another young NYC with nowhere to go but up. I'll be keeping my eyes on them.

  • Shout Out Louds - The Comeback
    There was a huge fight inside my head: "The Comeback" or "Please Please Please." Both superb tracks from a great band. Hours were spent debating. Did I just have to choose one? Yes. But how? So it came down to two pieces of paper and me closing my eyes. I swear. This is how sad I am. But this song rocks. I love the off-beat singing and the guitar lines in the chorus. It's giddy wrapped in a song.

  • Teenage Prayers - Center of the World
    I've talked about this band before, and for good reason. Their album was a complete left-field favorite for me. I even passed on a copy to my parents and they dig it too, and trust me, my parents are pretty musically savvy. "Center of the World" is the second track off of Ten Songs and was the one that really convinced me. The gin-house reeking, gospel church rebelling track will get you up on your feet and do-do-doing along with the band.

  • Saints + Lovers - Kiss It Goodbye
    Saints + Lovers is one of the most thrilling bands to see live. It's an experience. We were blessed with some new tracks this year, but something kept me returning back to "Kiss it Goodbye" a sweet, heartbreaking, but rocking track that showcases what a three-person band can accomplish. It's a big sound, from a small band. Get them into an arena already.

  • Youth Group - Skeleton Jar
    I can specifically pinpoint the time and place when I heard this song, and thought it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. This band should be in someone’s dream, but it doesn't seem quite real. Play this song just as you are about to go to sleep. It'll put you in the right mood.

  • Beck - Girl
    I told myself if there was ever a TV show on my life (please God, don't think I want one) but this would be my theme song. Couldn't you just see an opening with some nutty girl tripping and falling on the sidewalks of Manhattan with headphones on singing too loudly? Okay, maybe it's just me. But I think it would work.

  • The Late Greats - Hours
    When someone told me to listen to this song, they told me it sounded like The Kinks. I am a huge Kinks fan, and when I listened I decided it sounded nothing like The Kinks but it was pretty damn good. Another Brit band (aren't they all these days) that is bound to hit it big there first, then here. I caught them live during CMJ and was completely wowed. This song was meant to be loud. It's rough and scratchy in all the best ways. And as a result, I just want to hear more.

  • Oasis - Lyla
    We all held our breath for the new Oasis album, which they claimed was going to be their best. I didn't believe them, basically because you can't believe anything either of those Gallaghers say. But then we found a rough cut bootleg download of "Lyla" before the album was released. I listened to it about 100 times and still wasn't sure. It seemed too simple. This sounded like the Oasis I remembered. And then I realized, yes, this is it. This is the Oasis I remembered and loved. Kudos.

  • White Stripes - My Doorbell
    If I were doing top videos of the year, this would win. The White Stripes never cease to surprise. It's inevitable that this band is bound to be remembered generations down the line. Their music is timeless, innovative, and creative. "My Doorbell" is not their most clever of songs to dates, but it's still a favorite. That piano. Even Meg's drumming. It's just great.

  • Magic Numbers - The Mule
    My summer was spent in London. It's not the most sunny of places. But The Magic Numbers brought that summer to be. They were heralded as the happiest music of the year. But if you listen to the lyrics, they are a little bit dark. No matter, it's on the same vein as Kings of Leon, but just the British version. Great album, great song.

  • Hard-Fi - Gotta Reason
    I was bombarded by signs all over the tubes in London saying that Hard-Fi is the next big UK band. Some even said the greatest band ever, I think. It was a bit extreme. So naturally I had to buy the album and see for myself. It's a good album, but I don't know if I'd say the greatest ever. There’s some catchy stuff on here that doesn't seem to be exactly like every other UK indie rock dance band out there. At least they tried for something different, even if it's put in the same category. There's lots of stand-out tracks on this album, but "Gotta Reason" is kinda like a rollercoaster. A really fun one.

  • Bravo Silva - I Can't Say Goodbye
    I caught this band at the Gothamist's Moveable Hype and when I heard this, I knew that they were familiar. This song is one of those that comes on unsuspectingly and then you are humming it the next day and trying to figure it out. Don't let it go under the radar, just listen. We can hum together.

  • Voxtrot - The Start Of Something
    Voxtrot. Buzz band. Blogger's band. But a good band. Listen. Love. That's all I have to say, or else I'll get hate comments, apparently.

  • Death From Above 1979 - Blood On Our Hands
    If you can stand still during this song, I'll give you $20. If I ever try my hand at DJing this will become my staple. It's rock people, so let's rock out.

  • Arcade Fire - Crown Of Love
    I know, I know. This album came out last year. But I was still listening to it this year. And after the initial fascination with songs like "Neighborhood #3" and "Rebellion" I found myself drawn to "Crown of Love." Endlessly. Obsessively. It's a little bit crazy, because that's Arcade Fire for you, but in the end utterly beautiful. You end the song in a completely different place that you started off at, and that kind of movement is lost in music of today. Let's take listeners on journeys, to places that haven't existed before. Arcade Fire does that to you. And it's impossible to deny.

  • Dirty on Purpose - Girls & Sunshine
    Brooklyn's Dirty On Purpose just released their debut EP and I can't get enough. In "Girls & Sunshine" they say that you're living in a dream that you can't get out of." I feel like I'm having a sunny dream running through the fields when I listen to this band. It's lovely.

  • Wolf Parade - Shine a Light
    I didn't really understand the complete separation between lovers and haters of Wolf Parade. I think they are eclectic and yet incredibly accessible. It take me some time to get into it, but once I did I was hooked. "Shine a Light" may be the best for new listeners to try out first. Don't worry, it's not like a drug or anything. You can give it a chance. But I won't deny that it's possible you may get addicted too.

  • Sam Champion - Now Look At Me
    I wrote in this blog after seeing this band during CMJ that Sam Champion sounds like Ben Kweller, with a whole band, and more balls. I stand by my description.

  • Coldplay - Twisted Logic
    Do you hate me now that I have put a Coldplay song on my mix? Have I lost all my indie-cred? Blah. I could care less. I actually liked the new Coldplay album, although it got tired very quickly. The stand out track was definitely "Twisted Logic." Finally, they attempted at some edge. Let's see more of this in future albums, because you can't claim you are going to be the biggest band in the world without a dark side.

  • Maximo Park - Graffitti
    (*Smack*)Rachael(*Smack*)How could you forget Maximo Park?(Smack)You only talk about them all the time.(*Smack*)You love this band.(*Smack*)You love this album.(*Smack*)You love this song.(*Smack*)God dammit Rachael.(*Smack*)Now my head hurts, but I'm really surprised. I'm shocked I forgot Maximo Park. They are easily in my top 5 favorite bands of the year, but please. No more lists for this girl.

  • Cloud Cult - Outside of Your Skin
    Cloud Cult sort of just whisked into my playlists without me really understanding how or why. But once I started listening I didn't question it anymore. It's a mad and futuristic version of a mixture of Radiohead and Modest Mouse at their best. I don't think I really get it, musically, to be honest. But I can respect it.

  • Brendan Benson - Cold Hands (Warm Heart)
    You know that warm feeling you get inside, like during the holidays or during a cheesy chick flick. That's kinda like Brendan Benson, to me. He's that warm feeling. Don't you want to just give him a hug? Oh. That's just me? Ok. But you like him right? Yeah, who doesn't.

  • Bright Eyes - At The Bottom of Everything
    With two albums this year, there was a lot of tracks to chose from Mr. Overachiever, aka Bright Eyes, aka Conor Oberst. I personally preferred I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, but that's just me. But "At The Bottom of Everything" is just pure genius. (Yes, I said it.) The beginning story is eerily sweet in the way that Oberst executes it. No one, and I mean it, no one could pull this off as well he does. I don't know how, but he does.

  • The Undisputed Heavyweights - Money
    The Undisputed Heavyweights claim they are better than Elvis. It's quite a claim. We're going to go with it, though, because we believe in their vision. They are hands down the most intriguing act in NYC right now, a live show that breathes fresh air into the already innovative tracks. "Money" is a sweet, laidback, jazz infused ditty that I can't get enough of. The wails are perfect. The guitar is top-notch. This song just screams cool.

  • The Darkness - One Way Ticket
    Oh boy. The Darkness are back. Again, they have successfully released a guilty pleasure single, but have yet to give us an album that lives up to their self-inflicted hype. I'll keep listening for singles like this though. "One Way Ticket" is too fun not to.

    Previously
  • Underrated's Best of the Rest Part I
  • Underrated Top 25 (er 28) Songs of 2005

  • 1 Comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Late 2005 there was good vid with muppet like thing on stretcher then singing.What was the name of the band? Bit like Muse with less strong guitars. Maybe same catorgory as Divine Comedy. Suggestions much appreciated. Cheers.

    blogger templates | Make Money Online