Thursday, December 1, 2005

All O.K.

RIAA Bans Telling Friends About Songs.

LOS ANGELES—The Recording Industry Association of America announced Tuesday that it will be taking legal action against anyone discovered telling friends, acquaintances, or associates about new songs, artists, or albums. "We are merely exercising our right to defend our intellectual properties from unauthorized peer-to-peer notification of the existence of copyrighted material," a press release signed by RIAA anti-piracy director Brad Buckles read. "We will aggressively prosecute those individuals who attempt to pirate our property by generating 'buzz' about any proprietary music, movies, or software, or enjoy same in the company of anyone other than themselves." RIAA attorneys said they were also looking into the legality of word-of-mouth "favorites-sharing" sites, such as coffee shops, universities, and living rooms.

Well wouldn't I be shit out of luck? :)

Yesterday was long. Very long. But the day was capped with a little trip down memory lane in more ways than one. We celebrated Liz's existence on earth by hitting up all the spots that we frequented in our early days of Manhattan exploring. The best part was the scanner at Piano's reading: Happy Birthday. Technology these days.

Unfortunately there's some saddening news to report in that The Undisputed Heavyweights will not be able to play the show on Saturday due to a family emergency. While we will sincerely miss them, the night is still jam-packed with great acts, so be sure to still make it out.

I receive a lot of music daily, so sometimes it's hard to keep track of all of it. Sometimes some bands, or songs, get lost in the mass consumption. But lucky for me there's a thing called iTunes and a thing called shuffle that I leave on while doing my normal household chores. The other day a song came on and I remembered hearing it but couldn't recall why I hadn't noticed it before. So I listened. And listened again. And c'est la vie: I found as many other songs from the band I could.

Forgive me, whoever introduced me to Something For Rockets, because you should be given credit for this post. After a little bit of research I see MTV chose them for their extra-special segment "You Hear It First" in February of this year. Well then, hear it here again.

The LA-based band released their self-titled debut earlier this year and has since landed residencies at Spaceland in LA and played AmsterJam on this coast. And even though they seems to be a lack of updates on their website, I'll be checking back to see them the next time they come to NYC. Their music is an enjoyable experience (recalled the kind of gidiness I felt when I first listened to The Cloud Room). Hapiness isn't true for every band. Some bands are painful to listen to, but in the most wonderful ways. Not Something For Rockets. It's the kind of music that puts a smile on your face and gets your up off your feet. Try not singing to "Look Around." Try it. And then get back to me on that.

  • Something For Rockets - Look Around
  • Something For Rockets - All O.K.
  • Something For Rockets - The Line
  • Something For Rockets - Tragic City
  • Something For Rockets - Might As Well

    Buy their album here.

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online