Friday, June 10, 2005

The Coast Is Always Changing

What a day. Finally made it back to Liz's apartment this morning at around 3:00, après some Clap Your Hands Say Yeah fabulousness, some after show drinks at Arlene’s Grocery, and some Ray's yumminess. Ran into Robert of The Knitting Factory fame, who let me know that the new club Scenic will be opening its doors on June 29 with a show from the much hyped Annie. Too bad I won't be here, but we're gonna plan some Underrated madness there come September. Watch out.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah were all they are cracked up to be and more. The Delancey was packed, I was sipping my drinks, smoking my cigs and bobbing my head to their ultimately happy-go-lucky tunes. I'd present you with the few pictures I took last night, but they really aren't worth it. It's mostly other people's heads, and who wants to see that?

I chatted with Tyler of the band after the show and he was nice enough to give me their sweet-ass debut CD for free. I've been blasting it all day, and it is wonderful. I had to drag my hung-over self back to Jersey this morning at 8 am (!) for a doctor's appointment where I was asked how many drinks I have. I responded by asking, "last night?" and received a disappointed look from the Doc. The hardest part was the eye test. Those lines never looked so blurry.

And here I am back again, after a rare celebrity sighting of the one and only Corey Feldman at the H&M in Soho. Is it wrong that I was really excited? I mean come on, it's fricking Mouth!

Yeah, you don't care.

But you do care that I am going to see Maximo Park tonight, because, well, they could just be the best thing since iced lattes. (okay, I'm sipping on one right now, it was the first thing to come to mind) They play tonight at Tonic, and we caught up with them a few months ago for an interview with Paul Smith in the latest issue of Underrated.

Paul Smith of Maximo Park is lounging on a beanbag at his flat in Newcastle, naked. Naked?! “No, [actually] I’m wearing a pink t-shirt, red haberdasher trainers and some very tight Levi’s jeans.” Not only is Smith nonchalant and slightly goofy, but charming more than anything else. He seems the perfect foil for his very own music, which he describes as “both upbeat and sad and musically adventurous.”

Maximo Park’s debut album, A Certain Trigger is anything but safe. Neither is it musically cut and dry. It’s an amalgamation of sounds and styles ranging from the classic to the innovative. Smith’s first album was Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, which he requested because “it just seemed really magical.”

Although Maximo Park sounds slightly like a punked up classic rock band, Smith describes their music as pop. “It’s pop... made by people with guitars and keyboards and brains...it’s not the usual sort of pop...it’s more emotional [than the music of the bands we’re compared to]” Smith said.

Just like the Beatles opening up doors to the possibility of what pop music could be, Maximo Park are willing to keep that challenge going. In “The Coast Is Always Changing” Smith sings “I am young and I am lost, I react to your riposte.” Words like “riposte” aren’t generally considered part of the crude layman’s parlance of pop music. “[It’s] the lyricist’s job to enhance or increase the pop lexicon,” Smith said...

By Staff Writer, Emily Russell. Read the rest here


MP3's (right clickity and save as)
  • Maximo Park - The Coast Is Always Changing (via stereogum)
  • Maximo Park - The Night I Lost My Head
  • Maximo Park - Graffiti (Live)

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online