Sunday, April 3, 2005

Cut through the city on a Saturday night

So sometimes I'm wrong. I've been known to say that Don Hill's is my least favorite venue in the city, and I will hardly ever travel all the way over to the west side, unless there is a band that I must see. Case in point: Last night's TISWAS show featuring The GoStation, The Bon Savants, and The Walk Up.

Despite the poor sound, the dripping ceiling, and the flies swarming around, I found a new love for this venue -- they let me in without checking for an ID, served me alcohol all night, and had an open vodka bar from 10-11. Not too shabby.

Each band put on a great show. NYC's own The Walk Up was a late addition for the night's lineup and started the night off right with a big crowd and up-tempo rockster vibes. Boston's The Bon Savants was a nice surprise. The lead singer's voice was a cross between The Walkmen and The Darkness, but less intrusive. Their moody indie rock sound was well crafted and instantly likeable. And then The GoStation who are such a fun band to see each time. Matt's guitar playing is just out of this world. And the new songs that will be featured on an up-coming EP are so catchy it hurts. In a good way of course.

The Walk Up:


The Bon Savants:


The GoStation:



Apparently it was The Bravery's record release party as well. In-between acts I felt like my iPod was stolen, playing bands like The Kaiser Cheifs, Bloc Party, The Killers, and what not. I guess that's indie-rock for you. I checked my bag to make sure they hadn't actually stolen my iPod, which they hadn't, and so I dragged my happily sloshed self back over the the East Side. I never thought I'd say this, but thank you to Don Hill's.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online