Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Movies that Rock: Inland Empire

Last night, I chuckled over the fact that outside the IFC Film Center there was an ad stating that if you watched David Lynch's latest flick Inland Empire nine times....the tenth was free. Who in their right mind would watch a film that clocked in just under three hours ten times in the theater? Well after just watching it just once, I can see why someone would.

Although the movie was extremely long (especially at 10 PM, a latte was needed), it's easily the most confusing and mind altering films of Lynch's I've seen thus far. I'd consider myself a fan of Lynch, but clearly not anywhere near some other people I know, or have read about. I can't even tell you what Inland Empire is about, although I did quite enjoy it. With the expected awkward dialogues and freaky imagry, it's completely worth viewing. Just bring some coffee. And an open mind.

Here's the trailer.

What I've always loved about David Lynch's projects is his obsession with music. I wrote a blog entry about Twin Peaks back in May and Inland Empire was no different. Again, Lynch contributed much of the score himself, including that track in the trailer. There are some very peculiar moments that I wont ruin for you (one features The Locomotion, that’s all I’ll say), but perhaps my favorite choice was Beck’s "Black Tambourine." I was surprised to hear it, but it worked beautifully.

If you are a Lynch fan, you'll like this movie. Otherwise, be prepared for something quite odd. Laura Dern usually bothers me, but she put on one hell of a performance. And Justin Theroux is yummy. Check out the official site for the film here. Once you've seen it a couple times (at least three times, I'm thinking) you can start to check out the message boards over there for discussions on theories.

  • Beck - Black Tambourine
  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online