Monday, January 22, 2007

Podcasts: Grammar, Vocab, and something more?

Today was the first day I walked past the two Starbucks on my way to work and did not go in. And while I'm still craving my soy latte, this is part of a revamping of my daily routine that has become quite expensive, and well...boring. I've never like routine, but I am quite good at it. I'm an addictive person by nature, so once I get comfortable, it's hard to break me. So no Starbucks was my first decision. It took me a couple weeks to actually garner the strength to do so.

What's a much more interesting change is my daily listening habits on my way to and from work. I've decided that I listen to enough music while at work, all day, consistently that my mourning commute soundtrack should be a little bit different. After realizing that I listen to either Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" or my Motown #1s album far too many times (it's a good wake up, though), I decided to search through iTunes for more educational choices.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss school. I hated it and took it for granted while I was there, but now I feel as though I dumb myself down on a daily basis and I'm not happy about it. I miss learning. (gasp!) So I decided that since I am somewhat of a writer (who says?), I might as well learn some tricks through free podcasts that will improve the constant type strokes.

My favorite (and get ready to make fun of me here) is Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing. Sounds so nerdy, I know but it's actually quite fun. I've enjoyed riveting discussions (and songs) about apostrophes and a whole episode on how to politely correct other people's grammar (with guest star Mr. Manners!) You can check out my new favorite girl's website over at grammar.qdnow.com for more information. Call me dorky, but I love me some grammar.

I also subscribed to Webster's Word Of The Day (today's word: cadge, meaning to beg) and The Princeton Review's Vocabulary Minute (although they don't update as frequently as I'd like).

But here's my plea to ask if any of you listen to some really cool podcasts (besides Lostcasts, that is) that would be fun to listen to on a daily basis. Any suggestions?

1 Comment:

love-up-you said...

Do you want to know what it takes Pandora beads to successfully market a web site and generate repeat sales? pandora bracelet You must position yourself as a perceived expert. pandora bracelets ebay It doesn't matter what product or service you are selling, pandora charm bracelet this same premise will hold true. Gone are the days where you could build a simple company web Pandora charms site, list your products and send customers to an order page. pandora charms bracelets New web sites are sprouting up like blades of grass and competition is intensely fierce. pandora jewellery A small but growing number of small business owners have discovered the answer pandora jewelry to this question and are kicking your butt.

blogger templates | Make Money Online