Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Undisputed Heavyweights live on BTR

So I'm not sure if you've been able to tell by now, but I happen to write about the same bands over and over, basically shoving their music down your throats because, well, it's fantastic and deserves to be heard. One of those lucky bands has been The Undisputed Heavyweights who I've declared as my favorite band to see live in NYC with no hesitation, watched their hysterical podcasts over and over again, reviewed every show (from Philly and back), and gushed, gushed gushed.

I can't help myself. They really are that good.

Undisputed Heavyweights @ BTR

With that said, here's yet another opportunity to hear what I babble about on a regular basis. Last week we asked the band to record a live session for BreakThru Radio. It was a truly once in a lifetime experience that I know I'll remember fondly for a long time. Being as they are one of my favorite bands ever, I know their songs and live set like the back of my hand. But something was special in that room that night. Perhaps it was the inclusion of bringing in some of their die-hard fans to witness the event, but there for some reason I have never heard the band sound better. Casey's voice was the perfect balance between rasp and soul, and I couldn't stop from running around the room and asking others if it was just me. Nope, it wasn't.

Absolutely amazing.

You can check out the live session (FOR FREE) here. I'll have the session in an mp3 format for all of you by week's end. You must listen.

Sadly as impressed as you will be, you will not be able to make it to their Joe's Pub show this Thursday because it is sold out. I am so so so so so so (insert a million more so's) excited to see this band in this setting for a second time around. And the band just got reviewed by The New Yorker, which is huge. And it was nothing but praise.

"The local favorites in the Undisputed Heavyweights come armed with lounge-ready shtick, but they are more than just tongue-in-cheek hipsters. Brandishing acoustic guitars and a horn section, the Heavyweights deliver an accomplished rock/blues/soul hybrid, and their endearingly uninhibited front man, Casey Shea, puts them right in the tradition of vaudevillian showmanship. With the singer-songwriter Matt Singer."

Now that's what I'm talking about.

More pictures from the session here.

blogger templates | Make Money Online